Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree21Likes
  • 3 Post By DutchgirlRN
  • 2 Post By cjsimpson
  • 2 Post By Kylee
  • 2 Post By jules64
  • 6 Post By Dobby'sMomRN
  • 2 Post By DutchgirlRN
  • 1 Post By Sabby
  • 2 Post By MoreDilaudidPlease!
  • 1 Post By Kylee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default A Rude Nurse Changed My Life

Four days before my high school graduation I got a call from my dad telling me to come home. When I arrived he told me that my grandmother was in the hospital and we had to go there in order to take her off life support.

At the emergency room we introduced ourselves to the nurse. The first thing she did was rip open the curtain to expose my grandmother. No warning. No briefing us of what to expect. Just BOOM: ?Here she is, your dying relative.? When the nurse did this I couldn?t believe how unprofessional, disrespectful, rude, obnoxious, uncaring, and heartless she was.

I believe this experience exposed my own purpose in life, which is to make a difference and to help change the lives of others.
I chose the career path to become a nurse for this reason among others. I believe that every nurse and doctor should treat their patients the way they would want to be treated.

Watching how the doctors and nurses acted toward my grandmother and my family almost turned me away from the profession. But after much thought I decided I definitely wanted to be a nurse. I believe I can make a difference in someone?s life just by caring enough about them to treat them with respect and let them know that I am here to help.

Besides becoming a nurse and making a difference in patients? lives I believe my purpose in life is to make a difference in my children?s lives. I want to teach them to be well rounded. Just like my father always says, ?Knowledge is Power.?

The more you learn and know, the less dependent you are on others and the more you can do for yourself. I want to teach them that everyone deserves to be treated the same way you do, with respect.
I believe everyone has a purpose in life. And I believe my purpose in life is to make a difference in other?s lives.

The obnoxious nurse who inspired me

What made you become a nurse?

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-04-2012, 10:05 AM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default it's always been nursing

When I was a little kid I was the one who would run to get the bandaids and give you a tic tac (my medicine) when you got hurt. I was very in tune when people needed to be taken care of. Everyone thought that I wanted to be a doctor.

In Junior High I started suffering from Migraines, I hated going to the doctor because every headache was a migraine. When I got to college I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome (I hadn't slept in about a month, literally) I hated going to the doctor because they were prescribing some pretty heavy narcotics and I couldn't function. I had to drop out of school because I couldn't keep up. It was a nurse who told me to try some holistic medicine. I didn't believe in it and was reluctant but it saved my sanity. My chiropractor was great and he got me to where I could function. With small lifestyle changes I am able to get around pretty well.

I knew that I didn't want to be a doctor, I always wanted to be a nurse and I know that I want to be that somebody that this nurse was for me.
Sabby and Dobby'sMomRN like this.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-04-2012, 10:05 AM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,711 Posts
My Mood:

It's coded in my DNA on Chromosome 15. Four generations before me have walked the path... now it's my turn....

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 01-07-2012, 08:39 AM

Thanked 1,104 Times in 630 Posts
My Mood:

My oldest son was diagnosed with a profound bilateral sesorineural hearing loss (he's deaf) and CP. They told me he would never walk, would be in a wheel chair all of his life. It was July 14, 1981 and he was two weeks shy of 1 yr. old. With all of the "experts" throwing so much at me and everyone telling me their horror stories I just wanted to sort it out for myself. I wanted to understand what was wrong with him. Also, having taken care of my siblings I think I was meant to help others. As it turned out we went to OT, PT and ST for 7 years. He walked when he was 2 yrs. old and doesn't limp or anything. When questioned about that they said he has "mild" CP.
Another thing that inspired me was my 10th grade history teacher. I left school due to pregnancy (the one above). He made me promise to return to school. Told me I was smart and needed to use that ability. I did go back and am in my 24th year of nursing. I sent him a FB message last Summer and thanked him. He replied and told me "in each one of us resides a fool and a genius", I just love that, it's so true. I will never forget him and his encouragement.

It's not what you are that holds you back, it's what you think you are not.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:11 AM

My Mood:

Well, this is basically anonymous... The stark truth makes the most sense.

I ended up in the CCU getting transfusions after a suicide attempt (many years ago), and the only person who didn't act disgusted or angry, or disown me, was the night nurse. I felt humiliated and alienated and terrified. She didn't try to make me talk, she was simply kind.

I think she saved my life, both literally and figuratively.

When I was laid off due to downsizing three years later, I decided to go back to school with my severence package. For anything I wanted.

I considered Psychology and Computer Science, but what struck me was the memory of how useful and involved the nurses had been, and the kindness and acceptance from the night nurse.

Monday I start on a med surg floor as an RN, where we usually have 4-5 detox patients at a time. It will be my turn to pay that kindness forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dobby'sMomRN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby'sMomRN View Post
Well, this is basically anonymous... The stark truth makes the most sense.

I ended up in the CCU getting transfusions after a suicide attempt (many years ago), and the only person who didn't act disgusted or angry, or disown me, was the night nurse.

Monday I start on a med surg floor as an RN, where we usually have 4-5 detox patients at a time. It will be my turn to pay that kindness forward.
I appreciate your honesty and yes this is anonymous. With that said, mental illness (as you know) is just as real of a disease as diabetes. I have suffered from depression since I was 12 years old. The invent of SSRI's probably saved my life. I think it's awesome that you are going to pay it forward! I've tried to do that myself.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2012, 02:18 PM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Awesome thread and posts to read.

I have always wanted to be a nurse from the time I could walk and talk. I too would try to make people well.

Heck I operated on my brother's teddy bear because I thought he was sick. I took out is voice box and although Mum was NOT impressed she did not scold me as she understood where I was coming from.

Nursing is a great career choice as long as your heart is in it.
Dobby'sMomRN likes this.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Sabby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2012, 04:38 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 941 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

My story isn't as phenomenal, not even close, to what I've read here, but it is what it is.

My youngest was getting near to preschool age, and my dh and I had talked about me going back to school whenever the boys were in school so that I could once again work. Going back to school because I didn't see myself being an administrative assistant again, and I wanted a career that would afford me flexibility for my family, not doing a job where I was locked into certain hours, etc. I had no idea what that was, or what to do. I also didn't have unlimited funds; frankly, we had very little funds with which to do this, but I figured community college must have the key to a start, at least. And I already had an A.S. degree, so...maybe it would help.

I happened to have an appointment for a physical (don't remember even why I went, I'm not an "annual physical" kinda girl, but maybe I was ill?). Anyway, the NP I saw was the husband of my best friend, which was the reason I went to him in the first place, and although I obviously knew my friend well, I didn't know him so much. And he knew about my youngest being autistic, so he asked me questions about him, about his therapies, etc. And he listened carefully to my answers, and explanations about autism and its relationship with my child. He then said "I don't know if you're considering going back to work, or what you'd do, but I think you'd make a helluva nurse". Just like that. Huh. "Why?" I asked. He told me that so much of nursing was patient education, and he liked the way I explained things, complex things explained so that a layperson could understand them. And he said that if I could see myself teaching patients about how to care for themselves, I could be a good nurse. Huh again.

That was that. I went home, talked with dh, and decided to check out the ADN program at a nearby SUNY comm. college. Had the appointment, talked with the DON of the program, who told me that she could fit me in IF I could get xxx prerequisites done on the schedule she laid out. I agreed. I asked her why she'd be willing to work me in like that, she just said she "could tell". I still don't know what vapors or rays I was emitting that day LOL

Anyway, I was the last student enrolled in the last class before a heavy waiting list started. Go figure. Destiny? Maybe.

My mother became a nurse later in life, like me. My mother-in-law started her adult life as a nurse, straight out of high school, then retired early when dh was in high school. Or maybe college, don't remember.

Anyone believe in fate?
JennaRN1006 and Dobby'sMomRN like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoreDilaudidPlease! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 PM
The Irish Fireball

My Mood:

It's funny how a mean nurse will change your attitude. I worked with one at HELL and while she is an intelligent person, she is not a very nice person and she certainly lacks people skills. I've seen her being so mean to patients that not only do they have tears in their eyes when she left the room, it was left to me do to the consoling and damage control afterward. Unfortunately, she was the unit manager's pet, so nothing ever happened to her. No write ups, no calling into the office, nothing.

One thing I learned from her though... I learned what kind of nurse I didn't want to be....
cjsimpson likes this.

Kylee, BSN, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Kylee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2012, 08:20 PM
The Irish Fireball

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules64 View Post
My oldest son was diagnosed with a profound bilateral sesorineural hearing loss (he's deaf) and CP. They told me he would never walk, would be in a wheel chair all of his life. It was July 14, 1981 and he was two weeks shy of 1 yr. old. With all of the "experts" throwing so much at me and everyone telling me their horror stories I just wanted to sort it out for myself. I wanted to understand what was wrong with him. Also, having taken care of my siblings I think I was meant to help others. As it turned out we went to OT, PT and ST for 7 years. He walked when he was 2 yrs. old and doesn't limp or anything. When questioned about that they said he has "mild" CP.
Another thing that inspired me was my 10th grade history teacher. I left school due to pregnancy (the one above). He made me promise to return to school. Told me I was smart and needed to use that ability. I did go back and am in my 24th year of nursing. I sent him a FB message last Summer and thanked him. He replied and told me "in each one of us resides a fool and a genius", I just love that, it's so true. I will never forget him and his encouragement.
Jules, I LOVE that quote.... I just may steal it....

Kylee, BSN, RN