Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default RN Magazine ~ Oct 1953 ~ The IV Pole

I collect old issues of RN magazine and decided to post some of the more interesting items.

"One evening in February 1949, commercial photographer Elliot Clarke entered into his NY apartment carring what lookied like a six-foot pole. His wife, Billy, accustomed as she was to seeing her husband appear with strange devices, gave this one her usual "Well-what-is-it" look.

It turned out that some months before, Elliot, who was tired of tripping over tripods and moving heavy lighting stands around his studio, had invented a stand that took up practically no floor space at all, weighed only a couple of pounds, and yet safely suported the photographic equipment he had.

While her husband was pointing out the advantages of the tubular contraption, Billy, a former O.R. nurse said "It's an I.V. Stand,", "A wonderful, beautiful I.V. stand." Ivy stand? Whaddya mean, Ivy Stand? Who wants an Ivy stand? This is the photographers friend....A blessing for every studio....It's a.......

"It's an I.V. Stand", Billy persisted. "Put a hook here, and a rubber thingamajig there and it's the answer to a nurse's prayer......."

That's the I.V. pole was born. Such is the power of women that Elliot was eventually won over by his wife, and together they spent months doing research in hospital wards and in market testing, and two years in designing and redesigning their new product. Elliot has forsaken his photography to serve as the plant's president. Both of these enterprising young people are convinced that their new product is a good example of what modern, imaginative design can do to give financially hard-pressed hospitals better, more efficient equipment at a lower cost.

* They sold the IV poles for $7.50 each at wholesale. They later retired and sold the patent to a medical company for $1,500.00

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-04-2008, 06:15 AM

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

How clever is that?! Now we know the history of those things we trip over in the middle of the night...

My mummy, and my two gorgeous grandnieces, Sienna and Lily xxx
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-04-2008, 06:28 AM

Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,455 Posts
My Mood:

That is cool. Thanks DG.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:55 AM

They sold the patent for only $1,500!?!?!
Old 07-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Haunted

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I invented standing in line, just never got paid for it. I'd take 1500 clams.....
Old 07-04-2008, 02:31 PM

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
I invented standing in line, just never got paid for it. I'd take 1500 clams.....
Nope, I already patented that one, so I'll keep the clams/pippis thank you,,,

My mummy, and my two gorgeous grandnieces, Sienna and Lily xxx