Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default RN Magazine ~ Oct 1953 Some Things Will Never Change

Nurses attitudes 55 years ago...

I'm not trying to start any heated discussion, I've been an LPN and an RN, I just think these letters are very interesting. How some issues in nursing just don't change although I say to the LPN's you have come a long way baby! And rightfully so !

Dear Editor:

I am a nurse with a ASN and two years of training. I don't like being classified as a practical nurse since I received my training under the supervision of a bona fide nursing school. I have a family now and regret not finishing my training. Since going back to nursing again, I have found many former nursing students who are experiencing the same regrets. We are a group of nurses now older and wiser, and would be more than eager to finish our training. We cannot go away to school for three years but feel so obsolete without an R.N. We are made to feel that way by those who didn't have to leave school because of circumstances. We would like to be recognized as a necessary group of nurses. Why not make a kingdom for us and let us share a little of nursing's great prestige and respect? I hope I haven't insulted anyone and forgive me if I have, but I do think something should be done about this frustrating position.

Mrs. Leonard T. Disler Hamilton, Indiana

Dear Editor:

I graduated forty years ago and practiced nursing until fifteen years ago. During that time I held responsible positions. This winter, when the flu epidemic caused hospitals to issue desperate appeals for nurses, I felt I should help out. Upon my return to hospital staff nursing, I was relegated to giving cleansing baths and enemas. I was made to feel like a practical nurse rather than an R.N., in spite of my own convictions that I could do all the things younger nurses are now doing, such as taking blood pressures and doing intravenous therapy, if I were shown how to do them. Another thing that struck me is the lavish use and large degree of waste in the use of paper medicine cups, paper nourishment glasses, drinking tubes, dressings, and disposable oxygen masks. These work-savers are nice for nurses, but do they put their saved time to any better advantage? The student nurse today thinks she is abused if she gives more than three bed baths before noon. Isn't there still a place in the rapidly-changing profession of nursing for the older nurse?

R.N., Twin Falls, Idaho

*****And here's the one that will really blow your mind! *****

Dear Editor:

Like many others, I'd like to speak my piece about practical nurses. I think that one reason why it has been impossible to get R.N.'s is that they won't put up with the practical nurses. Practical nurses are helpful as assistants to the qualifed R.N., but should never try to take over her duties. I strongly believe that the R.N. should not be replaced as a bedside nurse. The personal touch which only an R.N. can give is very important. Another thing that's wrong is the lack of adequate salary differential between the salary paid a R.N.and that paid a practical nurse. I feel that one R.N. is worth several practical nurses. I think it would improve patient care if three practical nurses were replaced by one Registered Nurse.

R.N., Portland, Oregon.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-01-2008, 10:55 PM
HhRNhhr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Wow.......at first I thought the third one was written by an LVN, but when I realized it wasn't, you're right..... my mind was blown!!
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN