Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default RN Magazine ~ Oct 1946 Married Nurses vs Single Nurses

Dear Editor: One problem we have in the hospital in which I am working is that we single girls feel the married girls should share the 3-11 and 11-7 shifts with us. So far, we single girls have been doing all of these shifts because the other girls say "We're married and we want to be with our husbands". On the other hand, we figure we're single and have no husbands and never will if we continue to get pushed around by the married nurses. Vivian Savitz RN Philipsburg, NJ.

Dear Editor: Why shouldn't married nurses work? They are no different from single nurses. As far as having problems at home, don't we all have them? Yet our work doesn't suffer because it takes our minds off of ourselves while we are helping others. I have been happier when I worked.
I was the second married nurse to work at our hospital and it wasn't easy to listen to the jeers of the spinsters saying "I'm glad I'm not married and supporting a husband". The single nurses were merely jealous, so we overlooked their remarks. I never heard any of the doctors complaining of inefficiency. In fact, more of the single girls took time off for sickness. RN
Clearwater, Fla.

Science Shorts: Sulfathiazole has been put into chewing gum for local chemotherapy of the oral and pharyngeal mucosa.

The Army Medical Corps has reported control of respiratory infections in the GI barracks by treating blankets and floors with a light coating of oil. The oil absorbs and anchors the dust and germs so that they do not drift about the room.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-01-2008, 10:52 PM
HhRNhhr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Sleeping under an oiled blanket??
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-02-2008, 03:12 AM

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Wow, re: married nurses, aren't we lucky today! Good on Germaine Greer and her bra burning practises!

Now oiled blankets, couldn't that be a fire hazard? And what about falling over and fracturing legs, or having head injuries, on oiled floors?

My mummy, and my two gorgeous grandnieces, Sienna and Lily xxx