Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sabby
  • 1 Post By NurseAtLast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 04:13 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default question for sabs/ meli (or anyone who can help)

Hey guys,

haven't been around a huge amount. Have a bunch of hours coming up at work. I am THINKING about moving to NC but am having some troubles with finding out the scope of practice for LPN and what I can and can't do there could anyone either tell me or help me find it online?

Hope everyone is well
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-12-2013, 04:29 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

I'll get back to you. Best source is the NCBON site and call them. But I will try to see if there are any LPNs on at work to ask.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:33 PM

My Mood:

Thanks SO much meli. I have tried the NCBON s ite but any links that look like they lead t o the needed info don't work.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-15-2013, 05:00 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Li...nal-nurses.htm

1. 1) Body Cavity/Organ-Administration of pharmaceutical agents via an existing access device directly into a body organ/cavity is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (May 1991) NOTE: The administration of pharmaceutical agents through enteral feeding tubes, urinary catheters, rectal tubes, and intravenous routes is interpreted as general practice for the RN/LPN.
    2) Central Vascular Route-Administration of IV fluids and medications via the central vascular route is within the scope of nursing practice for the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse. (Revised May 1991)
    3) Cranial Intraventricular-Administration of intraventricular medication through a reservoir is within the scope of nursing practice for the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse. (May 1985)
    4) Epidural Analgesia-Administration of subsequent doses of epidural anesthesia/analgesia and the removal of epidural/caudal catheters is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Jan. 1986)
    5) Intraoral Infiltrates- Administration of intraoral local infiltrates is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Jan. 1987)
    6) Intraosseous-Administration of pharmaceutical agents into the intraosseous space, to include needle insertion for access, is within the scope of nursing practice for the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse. (May 1992)
    7) Intrathecal-Administration of medications into reservoirs of intrathecal catheters is within the scope of nursing practice for the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse. (May19) 8) Peripheral Vascular Route-Administration of IV fluids and medications via the peripheral vascular route is within the scope of practice for the licensed practical nurse. (May 1988; May 1991) 9) Pitocin-Administration of IV Pitocin is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (May 1984)
    10) Prostaglandin-Insertion of Prostaglandin suppositories is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Jan. 1984)
    11) Thrombolytics-Administration of thrombolytic agents is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Jan. 1988) VASCULAR ACCESS
    12) Arterial Puncture-Arterial puncture (performance of) and obtaining blood from existing arterial lines is within the scope of nursing practice for the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse. (May 1992)
    13) Cardiac Outputs-Measurement of cardiac outputs and pulmonary artery wedge pressures and the manipulation of cardiac invasive catheters is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (revised May 1995)
    14) Femoral Vein Cannulation-Femoral vein cannulation is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Jan.1987)
    15) Jugular Vein Cannulation-External jugular vein cannulation is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Sept.1986)
    16) Peripheral Insertion of Central Catheters (PICC)-Peripheral insertion of a central venous catheter is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (May 1993) NOTE: If placement is into the superior vena cava, radiographic verification of tip placement is required prior to fluid infusion. (Revised March 1994)
    17) Peripheral Insertion of Midline Catheters-Insertion of a peripheral midline catheter via the basilic or cephalic vein with tip not extending beyond the axillary vein is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Jan. 1990)
    18) Removal of Central Catheters-Removal of central venous/arterial catheters is within the scope of nursing practice for the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse. (May 1992) OTHER 19) Artificial Insemination-Performance of donor sperm insemination is within the scope of practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Jan.19)
    20) Bimanual Exam-Performance of bimanual pelvic and rectal exam for health screening and referral purposes is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Sept.1983) 21) Breast Assessment-Performance of breast assessment for health screening and referral purposes is within the scope of practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Jan.1986)
    22) Debridement-Debridement of wounds, including surgical debridement, is within the scope of nursing practice for the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse. (September 1984)
    23) Defibrillation-Defibrillation under protocol is within the scope of practice for the registered nurse (May 1985) and licensed practical nurse (January 1995). Note: Automatic External Defibrillation (AED) in the automatic mode is listed with the “non-nursing” advisory statements.
    24) Endotracheal Intubation-Endotracheal intubation is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (May 1983) 25) Enteral Feeding Tubes-Insertion of enteral feeding tubes and other tubes with mercurial bulbs is within the scope of nursing practice for the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse. (September 1983)
    26) Epicardial Pacing Wires-Removal of epicardial pacing wires is within the scope of practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Sept.1986)
    27) External Temporary Pacemaker-Non-invasive external temporary pacemaker therapy is within the scope of nursing practice for the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse. (January1987)
    28) Fetal Scalp Electrodes-Insertion of fetal scalp electrodes is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Sept.1983)
    29) Flexible Sigmoidoscopy-Performance of flexible sigmoidoscopy is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (May 1997) 30) Gastrostomy/Suprapubic-Reinsertion of gastrostomy/and suprapubic tubes/catheters is within the scope of nursing practice for the registered nurse and licensed practical nurse. (May 1983; Jan. 1991)
    31) PAP Smear-Obtaining a Papanicolaou smear (for purposes of health screening and referral purposes) is within the scope of nursing practice for the licensed nurse. (Sept.1986; May 1994) 32) Pericardial Fluid-Aspiration of pericardial fluid via an existing catheter is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE (Jan. 1990)
    33) Peritoneal Dialysis-Performance of peritoneal dialysis through an established catheter is within the scope of practice for the licenseed nurse. (LPN-May 19)
    34) Pneumothorax-Needle aspiration of pneumothorax is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Jan.1996)
    35) Pronouncement of Death-Pronouncement of death of an individual is within the scope of nursing practice for the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse. The dividing line is whether there is a question of whether an individual is alive or dead. If there is a question, a physician must be consulted. Nursing personnel should record their observations and information as to the condition of a patient. Those entries on patient records may indicate that the patient has expired, or the total absence of vital signs. (January 1984) Refer to Rules 21 NCAC 36.0224 (b) and .0225 (b). An institution/agency may adopt its own protocol governing pronouncement of death by RN and LPN. The protocol should adhere to the Attorney General’s opinion. (May 1984). In acute and unexpected death, a physician’s order is required to discontinue treatment. Once the physician orders discontinuance of treatment, the nurse may pronounce the patient dead. (January 1985).
    36) Prostate Screening-Performance of prostate screening for health screening and referral purposes is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Sept.1986)
    37) Surgical First Assist-Performance of first assistant activities which require independent nursing judgment in relation to tissue handling, providing exposure, using instruments, suturing and providing hemostasis during the intraoperative period, and under the direct supervision of the operating physician, is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Sept.1992) 38) Suturing-Stapling and/or suturing of superficial wounds after assessment by the physician is within the scope of practice for the licensed nurse. Note: This does not apply to suturing/stapling of muscle, nerve, tendon and/or blood vessels, but may include placing a suture to anchor an intravenous line or gastrostomy tube. (Revised January 1995)
    39) Thoracotomy Tubes-Removal of thoracotomy tubes is within the scope of nursing practice for the registered nurse and the licensed practical nurse. (September-1983)
    40) Umbilical Catheters-Insertion of umbilical catheters is within the scope of nursing practice for the REGISTERED NURSE. (Jan.1984)
NurseAtLast likes this.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Old 07-15-2013, 08:35 PM

My Mood:

Thanks SO much sabs. I appreciate it a lot
Sabby likes this.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 PM

My Mood:

What is the general thoughts about the university of NC hospital. Is it any good. They have a neurofibromatosis program and am going to ask my doc about it when I see her in September but am wondering what kind of rep the hospital has.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseAtLast View Post
What is the general thoughts about the university of NC hospital. Is it any good. They have a neurofibromatosis program and am going to ask my doc about it when I see her in September but am wondering what kind of rep the hospital has.

In Raleigh? Then great place, great docs there. Good reputation.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:37 AM

My Mood:

Yup in Raleigh,

Thanks that is really good to know. That is one thing that scares me about this potential move, switching my care to new docs. But I think overall the experience would be good for me
The Following User Says Thank You to NurseAtLast For This Useful Post: