Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 08:31 PM
HhRNhhr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Pump Instructions for the Home Health Patient

I came up with these to make it easier to teach home health pts who are handling their own infusions. The stuff the IV company provides often has a lot of extra info that the pt doesn't need and does nothing but confuse. Feel free to modify these for the pumps and policies in your areas. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home Pump Instructions

Assemble:Home pump
Alcohol pads
2 normal saline syringes (white cap)
1 heparin syringe (yellow cap)

1. Wash hands
2. Twist off cap at end of home pump tubing, discard. Twist off white cap of one syringe, discard.
3. Wipe end of PICC line with alcohol pad. Attach normal saline syringe with a twist-push motion. Release clamp and gently push the contents of the syringe in. IF THERE IS ANY RESISTANCE, DO NOT FORCE!!!
4. Remove the syringe and discard in regular trash. Without letting go of the PICC line, pick up home pump tubing with free hand and attach with a twist-push motion. Release the clamp on the pump tubing.
5. When infusion is finished, remove the pump tubing and attach a white syringe. Push contents into PICC line with slow steady motion.
6. Remove normal saline syringe and discard. Attach heparin syringe (yellow) and inject contents. Clamp off PICC line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Infinity Feeding Pump

Assemble: Cans of formula
New formula bag
Large syringe
Large cup or mug of water

1. Wash hands
2. Hang empty bag on pole and attach casette to pump. Close pump door.
3. Pour formula in top of bag. Bag can hold 6-7 cans max.
4. Turn pump on (hold ON/OFF button down for a few seconds)
5. Remove cap from red tip. Hold PRIME button down until formula reaches the red cap. Let go of the PRIME button. If the rate needs to be reset, hold down the + or - button until desired number is reached.
6. Fill syringe with water and insert it into the end of the feeding tube. Inject the water. Repeat until required amount of water has been instilled.
7. Attach red tip to the end of the feeding tube and hold down the RUN button until you hear a beep and see a flashing circle on the pump screen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TPN via CADD Pump

Assemble: Prefilled syringe of normal saline
Alcohol pads
TPN bag
Box of multivitamin
New tubing
10-ml syringe
Needle
Plastic bag for trash

1. Wash hands.
2. Stop pump and disconnect old tubing from PICC/Huber line.
3. Wipe end of PICC/Huber line with alcohol, attach syringe of normal saline and flush.
4. Using a quarter, a flathead screwdriver, or a CADD pump key, open the lock on the side of the pump and remove old casette, discard.
5. Attach needle to empty syringe. Remove vials of multivitamin from box and fill syringe with contents of both vials.
6. Wipe off rubber port of TPN and carefully inject the multivitamin. If the needle goes through the side of the port, the bag cannot be used. Discard and start fresh. Invert bag several times to mix well.
7. Twist off cap from middle port of TPN bag. Remove new tubing from its bag, pinch plastic clamp shut. Remove white cap from spike. DO NOT LET SPIKE TOUCH ANYTHING!! If the spike touches anything it is contaminated, discard tubing and get another one.
8. Insert spike into TPN bag using twist/push motion until completely inserted.
9. Attach casette to pump and close lock on the side. Open the plastic clamp. Twist off cap from end of tubing.
10. Pump will go through self checks. When finished push the NEXT button. The screen will show the current reservoir volume. Push ENTER. The screen will ask if you want to reset the reservoir volume. Push Y for yes. Pump will reset.
11. Push OPTIONS, then ENTER. Screen will ask if you want to prime the tubing. Push Y.
12. Ignore next screen and hold the Y button down. Pump will push fluid through the tubing slowly. When the solution reaches the end of the tubing, let go of the Y button.
13. Wipe off end of PICC/Huber line with alcohol pad, attach end of TPN tubing. Push START on pump, then Y. Pump will go through self checks, then will start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-06-2009, 08:49 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Home health tips are always appreciated.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Haunted

Jimminy CRICKETS TAZ!!! Are you reading my mind??? I had a new patient to open today who was on TPN via porta cath and I was FLIPPING out because it's been ages since I accessed that with a huber.

Our IV supply nurse came out last night with the portable pump, extra bags, tubing, flush etc and the patient already had a huber in place. Extra hubers were included in the supplies but this one was infusing fine so all I did was change the dressing.

I had a hell of a time finding patient info online and this ongoing education has been so frustrating. Highly complex patient. Thank you!!! Thank you!!!
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-06-2009, 10:52 PM
HhRNhhr

I saw your post about it in the daily thread and remembered this. I have one for the CADD pump too, for people who change their abx bags, but I didn't have that one in my lappy. I'll get it for you Monday.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Haunted

A million thanks.