Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GrnTea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2016, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Psychiatric nursing- input needed

Hello, I work in psychiatric nursing and am also a current psychology graduate student at Northwest University in Washington. I donít want to be spammy or anything, I'm just hoping to specifically reach out to other people in the field. Iím doing a study for school on how nurses and nursing staff perceive mental illness, in particular personality disorders, and am looking for nurses who would like to volunteer their opinion. I would appreciate it if some of you could spare some time (about 15 minutes) and fill out the survey below (the responses are anonymous). Thank you!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/G5GMVF5
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-09-2016, 08:35 AM

Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Hi Pretzel Cat,

I did start to do your survey, but found I really couldn't answer all of the questions simply with one of the options. The PD questions especially...for example "do I respect PD people." Well some I do, some I don't. I respect some PEOPLE, some I don't. I can't say I feel drained or uncomfortable "around PD people," although I might feel drained or uncomfortable around manipulative behavior. Yes people with PDs can be manipulative, and that behavior can be draining, but so is manipulative behavior from people who DON'T have a PD. Likewise someone with a diagnosed PD can be behaving as any other sick or injured pt (I'm a SICU RN, not a psych one) and I have zero issues with them as a person.

Also on the 1st page, some of the answers depend on your definition of "severe mental illness." For example, does the public need to be protected from those with "severe mental illness." Does the public need protection from a severely depressed, anxiety-crippled suicidal person? Of course not. Does the public need protection from someone who hears voices telling them to firebomb elementary schools, and who refuses to take meds? Of course.

Feel free to use those comments if they would be helpful, but I can't give you my thoughts based on the survey.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-09-2016, 09:43 AM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

After having been horribly misdagnosed more than forty years ago and after having wasted much of my productive life being followed by said misdiagnosis, I can truthfully say that I feel far more uncomfortable around the practitioners of psychiatry and their prescription pads than I do around individuals with mental illness.

I'll bet your survey doesn't cover that.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:24 AM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Without free-text for NA/does not apply/other choices answers are not necessarily representative of attitudes. For example, I may say that I am not as comfortable talking to someone with mental illness, but that's not because of fear or prejudice, it's because I don't know enough about mental illness to be therapeutic; you never give me a chance to say that.
Protecting the public from someone with "severe mental illness" -- well, that really depends what their severe illness is, doesn't it? How can I give an opinion on that?
Would I still want to work c someone with a mental illness? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how much it affects the quality of their work. Or whether they are "severely" ill, as in, homicidal or sociopathic.

All in all, I have a problem c this whole trend towards Survey Monkey as a data collection instrument. We see them all the damn time on The Other List. You can have no idea whether your respondents are who they say they are (just asking them to affirm that they are is not reliable) and the obvious shortcomings of a poorly-constructed set of items should disqualify them from serious (or even semi-serious) academic work.

I might tolerate this sort of thing from an undergraduate at a second-rate school, who could learn the shortcomings of the form as part of trying to analyze the returns, but certainly not at an alleged graduate-level program.
Can you see why these almost always come from for-profit schools, and never from places like, to mention some in the neighborhood, the University of Washington, Seattle University, or Pacific-Lutheran University? I submit that it's because the supervising faculty either doesn't know enough about research or doesn't care, and I find either one completely unacceptable...and in terms of education, almost fraudulent.

Off soapbox.
Here.I.Stand likes this.
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society