Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By DutchgirlRN
  • 2 Post By icurnmaggie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2015, 09:36 AM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default PPE doesn't always protect you...

http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...011-story.html

This link takes you to an LA Times report of a study about how personal protective equipment (PPE) fails to protect staffers from contamination even when properly used. The numbers range from 2-3% to 70%. What do you think?
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society
Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to GrnTea For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-14-2015, 08:29 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

"Of 435 simulations performed in the study, 246 were done by nurses, 72 by doctors and 117 by folks like phlebotomists, physical therapists, dietitians and radiology technicians.

The researchers, led by Dr. Myreen Tomas of the Cleveland Veterans Affairs Medical Center, recruited these volunteers from four hospitals in the Cleveland area. The workers put on “contact isolation gowns” and nitrile gloves, then were given half a milliliter of a fluorescent lotion that glowed under a black light — a stand-in for invisible pathogens. They were asked to rub the lotion on their gloved hands for 15 seconds, then wipe their hands over their gowns. After that, they got a clean pair of gloves.
Next, the volunteers were asked to remove their gowns and gloves the way they normally would. When they were done, the researchers used the black light to see if any lotion was left behind".

"The hospital workers got the lotion on their clothes and skin 38% of the time when they took off their gowns and 53% of the time when they took off their gloves. Overall, the average “contamination” rate was 46%."

Study reveals why gowns and gloves can be so dangerous for hospital workers - LA Times

Interesting!!! I did a study in grad school about hospital infections and one very guilty item was the doctors stethoscope. He goes from room to room. Never wiping it off between patients. It was interesting as well.

http://consumer.healthday.com/infect...ia-685307.html

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-14-2015, 06:23 PM

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,199 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I think Ebola taught us that , thanks for posting.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:09 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yeah, nurseforever, with Dr. Gupta and the chocolate syrup.
About 6 weeks ago I had a guy with an arterial bleed (actually deep venous but it spurted like an artery we found out later). I was fully gowned, gloved, masked. I still got blood on my wrist despite my best efforts. It happens! Especially holding a pressure dressing for 45 minutes straight. Even with a BP cuff as an intermittent tourniquet.
The Following User Says Thank You to RN Who For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2015, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I learned isolation technique wearing the nylon gowns and I felt much more protected. I vaguely remember having a "clean nurse" outside the room and double bagging everything with a typhoid varicella or TB patient.
The flimsy yellow gowns are ripped off, hung on hooks or thrown at a garbage can instead of being folded outside in, contaminating everything.
LadyFree28 and CBlover like this.