Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 02:13 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,401 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Phlebotomy tips part two!

Ok, so I took my class last february, got some tips here, and now have done at least 70 draws. I am decent, but now I want to be better than that.

My problems are those women (they are all post menopausal women in my study) with those skinny itsy bitsy torturous veins that you really cannot hardly feel, but can see a little. And then the other problem are those women you just cannot palpate or see anything.

Advanced tricks and tips please! Actually, basic ones are great too.

I am using butterflies.
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-15-2009, 07:58 AM

Hello? Anybody out there?
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-15-2009, 10:54 AM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Sorry, but I don't have any tips for you. I have performed exactly one (count it) successful venipuncture, and this guy hada nice, big fat one right on the back of his hand.

C'mon, people...
Old 10-16-2009, 01:44 AM

Thanked 1,604 Times in 804 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Have them lie down and dangle the arm down for at least 5 minutes. If you have a way to get warm blankets or towels, wrap the arm from the ac to the hand with them. Try feeling the wrist (start at the base of the thumb and follow up yill you hit the that wrist bone bump) for a very common vien that most women have-you probably won't see it.

Once you have the needle in and don't get flashback, feel around for the vein and and move the needle to where you feel the vein, while also trying to stabilize the vein.

If everything else fails, go for the deep ac veins by feel----there is always one somewhere there.

You will learn to go more by feel than by sight, the more you get to do. I have many times turned my head away and just felt around the arm to locate the deep veins.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:32 AM

Thanks so much Loricatus and Polio!

I do most by palpation rather than sight, but sometimes i just can't feel those tiny little squigly suckers...
Old 10-16-2009, 09:05 AM

This is the worst tip (cuz it's really something you can't control), but also the best (cuz it's the most effective) - it's all about confidence. I learned that on this site about a year ago when I couldn't hit a vein to save my life. A few folks told me "confidence" and I was like, "Great...that's really going to help me..." But it's the truth - maybe fake it 'till ya make it, as far as the confidence goes... Ever since I got my confidence back, I haven't missed a single vein.

My other tip is (this sounds kinda awful), but I'm all about digging around in there once I've broken the skin and I'm not getting any flashback - I've never had a resident appear to be in pain when I do this (a few of them actually encourage it) and it usually works pretty well. I don't do this if I've clearly missed the vein - I only do it when I was able to palpate the vein, the vein didn't move, the needle isn't to the side of the vein and for whatever reason, I'm just not getting any flashback.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:22 AM

Thanks Alice. Even though I started out petrified I am very confident now. I know that I will get the majority of sticks now.

It's just that 20% of people that I cannot seem to get because i cannot palpate anything that are driving me nuts!123