Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Eriksoln
  • 1 Post By Noryn
  • 1 Post By crunch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 12:34 AM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default OK, it's not just me then.

My feelings towards my current employer are well documented. Amateur, that's all I'm going to say...................

Seems I'm not the only one picking up on signs of care going down the tubed due to all the cutting back.

Got a transfer today, said transfer came from one of the units the hospital is not so proud of. I rarely see anyone come outta this unit happy with their care. Family accompanied the patient during the transfer. Pt. had a lot of requests when they first arrived, but none of them were difficult so I managed to do it all.

Family left, and on their way out the door said they were glad their mother was off her previous unit, getting all the things I did for her would have taken the entire shift, if they did it at all. I didn't think anything of it, that's the usuall response of people going from their unit to this one.

Then the son handed me a bag. He explained to me that he worked at a T-shirt printing shop. He printed up a T-shirt for his mom to.......politely express their disatisfation with the unit. It said, in bold letters across the front:

"I Survived [insert unit number/location]"

He said he was going to have her wear the shirt but since she is transfered there is no need anymore.

I encouraged him to have her wear it anyway, but he wouldn't.
Poliopioneer and Noryn like this.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-04-2011, 05:47 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Wow that is one way for family to express their dissatisfaction isn't it? Pretty sad when it has to come down to that and not a good reflecion on the hospital at all.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-04-2011, 06:59 AM

My Mood:

One of the great things about these forums is that you realize how universal these problems can be. When I worked in the unit, we had a similar floor with the same reputation. It was so bad that even doctors would write orders that their patients could not be placed on it.

Years later my grandmother was placed on the floor despite my objections. And of course, it hadn't changed. My grandmother came in for GI bleed. Her hgb fell to 7.9 but the repeated it-it came back at 8.1 so according to their "protocol" they only notify the doctor is less than 8.0. They let it go until the next morning when her hgb went to 6. But get this--the day before it was around 12.0. So no one frigging thought, well maybe we have a problem if it has dropped 4 points.

So every night while she was there I would get off work at another hospital and come to that floor and review her chart. I know how these families feel. I swear I am to the point that I think our current medical system does more harm than good.
kwagner_51 likes this.

~Noryn, RN
Old 09-04-2011, 07:07 AM

Thanked 2,686 Times in 1,782 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

It is good to read about how these experiences are universal.

I've seen how care has gone downhill, replaced by a focus on customer satisfaction. The result is that patients aren't well cared for, and nurses are overworked and burned out.
Gotta find my corner...of the sky

"Corner of the Sky" from the Broadway musical "Pippin"

Joe RN CCM!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:46 AM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,711 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I think I'm going crazy... I could have sworn I had a post here and now it isn't.....

Someone please order me a pretty white jacket with long long sleeves????

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 09-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

It is universal. When my Mother was in the hospital she got awful care, I stayed with her 24/7 and they knew me. I'm not saying all of the nurses were bad. Some were good, some just okay, and some just awful! I could not believe the bad care she was getting from some of them basically, that's why I stayed 24/7 for 10 days.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 09-06-2011, 10:05 AM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,401 Posts

So, I had a friend see her doctor because she was having neurological symtoms. The MD ordered an MRI and US. That is just great, but why in the world did they NOT do a neuroclogical exam?

Seriously?

Order these expensive tests to be done and not even do a neuro exam?

My own doc doesn't have me change or anything for my annual. All he does is maybe listen to muy heart and check BP. I like him for this, but it really is not good care.....

Medicine is really changing in some not so good ways. Seems they would just rather order tests than do any kind of reasdonable exam these days.
Poliopioneer likes this.