Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Nursing Philosophy

Just wondering, what is your nursing philosophy? Thought this might be an interesting thread.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-07-2010, 11:30 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Well, when I still had one, I guess it went along the lines of the patient is who's important here, and most of the negative reactions you get are based on fear. Look for the human being inside the broken bodies, the ravenous cancer, the mind-eating dementias, and other disease processes, because, in the long run, that's what you're treating.

Actions of family members are frequently based on the same fears the pt. has.

To hell with corporate bull crap, "team-building" nonsense, backbiting, soap-opera office politics, and who hates whom this particular weeki.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-08-2010, 12:21 AM

Thanked 1,118 Times in 728 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Right now, my philosophy is to shut up, observe, and do as I'm told. :P

Old 09-08-2010, 05:39 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

My philosophy has always been to do the best I can, be a team player as well as working well on my own.

I am the only one that can be responsible for the patient care that I give so it has always been up to me to do my job to the best of my ability.

I have learnt to listen, keep my mouth shut when I truly do not think Management is wrong. I prove it by my actions then have the documentation in front of me to say 'see it does not work'

Always be bright and happy even if you do not feel like it. I have learnt to leave private issues at the 'door' and just walk in smiling and being positive for my patients.

I love being a nurse and never EVER regretted being one although I have those days that are exasperating to say the least but I could not see myself doing anything different that working in the field of Hospice.

Being a good role model can only help others that are struggling and wondering what they are doing.

Being available for colleagues to feel comfortable to approach me for any help or to answer questions that they may have.

Work have never seen me lose my cool, yes I have had adult conversations with them when I am overwhelmed but the only person that will stand up for me is myself.

It is how you handle those crises and remain the professional nurse that you want to be.

So there you have it in a nut shell from me
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Sabby For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2010, 05:56 AM

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,347 Posts
My Mood:

My "theory" is to support and provide direct care and comfort for the patient and family when they can NOT manage things on their own, and then switch quickly to a teaching and coaching role.

(Yes, pure Dorothea Orem, with shades of my Rehab Nurse [CRRN] poking through as well!)

I think this matches my no-nonsense style, and is pretty much the same way I acted as a mother. I CAN be very sweet and tender when it is appropriate, but figure I am not helping a patient (or a child) by being overly mushy when they need to grow and push themselves a bit. I want those in my care to learn to the point that they don't NEED me!

There is a God-Shaped hole in every human being that only He can fill.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueRidge For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2010, 06:13 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
My "theory" is to support and provide direct care and comfort for the patient and family when they can NOT manage things on their own, and then switch quickly to a teaching and coaching role.

(Yes, pure Dorothea Orem, with shades of my Rehab Nurse [CRRN] poking through as well!)

I think this matches my no-nonsense style, and is pretty much the same way I acted as a mother. I CAN be very sweet and tender when it is appropriate, but figure I am not helping a patient (or a child) by being overly mushy when they need to grow and push themselves a bit. I want those in my care to learn to the point that they don't NEED me!
How did you know what i learned in class yesterday. lol. my school teaches from the orem school of thought.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:45 AM

Thanked 1,498 Times in 878 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Can't say that I've ever really thought of this, but I guess 10 years in is a good time ;) Great Topic Dutchie.

I would say my philosophy is to promote maximum independence and self management, to ensure both the medical and psychosocial needs of the client are met in the most cost effective manner possible, and to empower the client/caregiver to become an active participant in care.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:56 AM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,401 Posts

1. Do no harm
2. Do the best I can for everyone
3. Use common sense
4. Don't take any crap, but be smart about how you do it
5. Take the path less often followed
6. It is easier to get what you want by being nice than being real.....
The Following User Says Thank You to crunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 AM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:

Y'all know mine... Patient first always. That doesn't mean that I'm a doormat. When they start pushing my buttons, it's a case of this is how it is. You have your choice of Choice A or Choice B and those are all you get.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 09-08-2010, 08:33 AM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:

I am a huge believer in self-care as much as possible.

I am taking a page from Sabby's book for now.
Quote:
Always be bright and happy even if you do not feel like it. I have learnt to leave private issues at the 'door' and just walk in smiling and being positive for my patients.

Right now, I am wondering if I made the right choice to go into nursing. I am more of an encourager and find that a lot of our patients don't really want to help themselves...
The Following User Says Thank You to Diary For This Useful Post: