Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By DutchgirlRN
  • 1 Post By DutchgirlRN
  • 2 Post By Melinurse
  • 1 Post By Sabby
  • 1 Post By OCNRN63

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Nursing Memories

In honor of nurses week lets share some of our favorite nursing stories, memories of instructors, special patients,
whatever you'd like to share about your career as a nurse.
PA-NURSE likes this.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

My earliest memory about nursing was "Oh Dad please I don't want to be a nurse, gross"

My Dad bribed me into nursing school by giving me a brand new car which I didn't have to pay for if I graduated. We came to a mutual agreement that I would go to LPN school, not college as he originally wanted me to do. (what the hell was I thinking?) I was 19 years old.

When I first started LPN school I thought I gee, LPN get to give shots, I never expected this. The article I read was that we made beds and such. I wasn't so sure that this was for me but hey I had to stick it out for 13 months so I didn't have to pay for my new car. A 1975 Dodge Dart Swinger. Blue with a faux white leather top. It was hot (back then LOL)

After graduation I didn't want to work as a nurse so I worked as a waitress at Shoney's. I didn't work as a nurse until early 1977. We had gotten married, moved to Virginia and lived right across the street from a hospital and a nursing home. We only had one car (my new car) and naturally DH had to have it to drive back and forth to the base. I got a job at the nursing home. I made $3.75 an hour and that was good money back then. Minimum wage was around $1.35 an hour.

Could I go back in time. I would have gone to medical school while my Dad was paying for it and become a dermatologist. Ah well, maybe in my next life
PA-NURSE likes this.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 05-06-2012, 06:01 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

My earliest memory of wanting to be a nurse was when my grandfather was dying.

We felt so alone. No one helped us at all with knowing what to expect at end of life. The MD never mentioned hospice. No one mentioned hospice at all to us. Grandpa suffered and struggled to breath. he kept saying he never wanted to go to the hospital again, just to let him die. But we could not watch the suffering. So many trips to the hospital. His last night with us, we did CPR and finally stopped realizing we were just gonna bring him back to go through all the suffering again. He would not have wanted that. So we stopped and sat around him telling stories of our memories about him. It was theraputic for us all. Anyhow, I was young, maybe 11 or 12 years old.

And so naive as I was. I told my parents I would become a doctor and would create a system that helped families struggling with the decline of a loved one and help families to understand the dying process. Then someone told me that nurses would be the ones who did hands on work with patients and that was what I wanted. To be there for these families in person and guide them and love them. So when I got the nursing school, I found out about hospice and that is where I am now working. Love my job.
DutchgirlRN and PA-NURSE like this.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Great idea Joanna and thank you for the picture on the site to honor Nurses Week.

I wanted to be a nurse from the moment I could walk and talk. Always had it in me, even if I did operate on my brother's talking Teddy Bear, I took out it's voice box....

My instructors were awesome as I trained in a Catholic Hospital run by Calvary Nuns. We did have two lay instructors who were awesome as well but I have to say the Nuns laid the foundation for my nursing career.

It was a hard 3 years but we did get paid $68 every two weeks which was great money considering my nurses home payment was taken out of that before I got the balance of $68.

There is nothing I would change at all but I remember going around other hospitals before I was at age to enter the Nursing Program begging to start. Calvary took pity on me and accepted me hence this started a wonderful ride.

We would do blocks of say Med-Surg theory then we would work on those floors. Talk about make things stay in ya head. It was a very good system and one I wish they would bring back!
PA-NURSE likes this.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Sabby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 AM

My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I also wanted to be a nurse since I was a child. I lived next door to two nurses. One of them was an ED nurse. I remember one year we had a big snowstorm, and the hospital sent someone out for her on a snowmobile to take her to work. I thought that was so cool.

When I was in high school I still thought I wanted to be a nurse, but I excelled in Spanish and English, and I had teachers from both sides encouraging me to go to college and major in the one or the other. I was really tempted, but my parents would only help me if I went into nursing. It really wasn't hard for me to choose nursing, even though the other two were attractive options.

I also went to a Catholic hospital-based nursing school. It had recently gotten rid of its residency for nursing students, so we were all commuters. We had a lot of clinical, for which I was thankful.
PA-NURSE likes this.

</font></font></font>

Visit my blog at www.thebaldnurse.com

༄❀Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society❀༄
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OCNRN63 For This Useful Post: