Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Be a Nurse!

We've come a long way baby :th_:

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-20-2008, 11:24 PM

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,725 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchgirlRN View Post

We've come a long way baby :th_:
What was once the weekly wage, is the hourly wage in most areas.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-20-2008, 11:30 PM
HhRNhhr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Sheesh.........
Old 09-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Just think of all the time and money we could have saved and we could have ended up as a DON of a 10 bed hospital :th_09403103:I wonder how many nurses actually got their education this way???

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 09-20-2008, 11:34 PM
HhRNhhr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

The part of learning from home scares the bejayzus out of me!
Old 09-20-2008, 11:48 PM

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,725 Posts
My Mood:

I'm not sure but think a few of the registry nurses that my old hospital use to use may have....lol I told a coworker once I though one of them got their license out of a cracker jack box....she was a peice of work... I tell ya. I was ER admitting and she came in our area to ask me about labs one day and another day they had her in triage and she came to me and asked who looker sicker.....WTF
Old 09-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HhRNhhr View Post
The part of learning from home scares the bejayzus out of me!
Me too, I'm doing some further investigating...

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 09-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Correspondence School Ephemera

Correspondence and short course schools are an interesting facet of nursing's history. These programs were the bane of the early professionalizers of nursing, people like Lavinia Dock, Isabel Hampton Robb, Sophia Palmer as well as superintendents of hospital based training schools.
Each is a money-making scheme, playing upon the credulity of its victims and imposing its graduates upon the public as qualified trained nurses (Kinney, 1905, p. 237).
Because there were no regulations on either nurses education nor licensure, correspondence courses such as the Chautauqua School of Nursing and the Chicago School of Nursing, flourished. Additionally there were short-term schools which sprang up across the country. In these "courses" women could become " trained nurses" in just a matter of months.
As both types of schools issued pins and caps and certificates the public was unable to distinguish between someone who studied at home or someone who labored through a two or three year hospital based program.

A 'trained nurse' may mean then anything, everything, or next to nothing, and with this state of affairs the results are far from what they should be, and public criticism is frequently justly severe upon our shortcomings, or else is content with superficiality where like meets like. This criticism falls both upon the woman herself and in upon the institution she represents. (Hampton, 13, p. 35)
The registration laws will eventually protect the public - if it chooses to be protected; but how can we reach and save the mass of young women who are caught by wild assertions (Kinney, p. 229 )
Today the ephemera of these programs are highly collectible and range from print advertisements for the programs to the actual graduation certificates and photographs. Seen above is the complete manual for one of the correspondence courses, the Chicago School of Nursing. There are a total of 53 lessons, including self examination and mail-in test questions.
Clara Barton attended the graduation of the Philadelphia School for Nurses held at the Academy of Music, Philadelphia. As a non-nurse Miss Barton would not have been aware of the ten week school's reputation among hospital trained nurses.
Hampton, I.A. (13). Educational standards for nurses. pp. 31-42. Hospitals, Dispensaries, and Nursing: Papers and Discussions in the International Congress of Charities, Correction & Philanthropy, Section III. Chicago June 12- 17, 13. J.S. Billings, & H.M. Hurd (Eds.). Baltimore 14.
Kinney, Dita H. (Jan. 1905). Some questionable nursing schools and what they are doing. American Journal of Nursing 5(4)224-9

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 09-21-2008, 12:02 AM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,711 Posts
My Mood:

Oh my gosh.. and Chataqua is an hour away from where I grew up. My Uncle's Mom did her LPN training this way, but when she moved to CT, they wouldn't accept her as an LPN. When were Boards instituted? My Grammy trained for 3 years at the hospital where I was born, and was asked to join staff... she was the only one out of her graduating class asked to do so.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 09-21-2008, 01:41 AM

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood:

"Please send me your free, fascinating booklet "Splendid Opportunities in Nursing" and 32 sample lesson plans"

OMG sounds like one of those enquiries for religious information...

My mummy, and my two gorgeous grandnieces, Sienna and Lily xxx
The Following User Says Thank You to nyapa For This Useful Post: