Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By kwagner_51
  • 1 Post By Nurseforever
  • 2 Post By Poliopioneer
  • 2 Post By Glendah46

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Narc count?

So, I came into work for my 3-11 shift yesterday. I work in LTC, so we're still doing things the "old fashioned way" with a handwritten narc log.

I have about 25 residents to care for?by the end of my count, I was 5 narcotics short. Upon further inspection, I realize that not only did the NOC nurse not sign out any of the narcs she gave, she obviously didn't do a final count at the end of the shift. The last two signatures in the book are from her and the p.m. nurse from the day before. ANNNDDDD, out of the two day nurses that worked in the morning, neither one bothered to do a narc count either. And the one that was actually passing pills just subtracted from the number above, which was incorrect because the NOC nurse hadn't done a count at all.

I got pretty upset and left a VM for my DON in front of the day nurse, saying I was upset that nobody from the two shifts before me had done a narc count.

This happens rather frequently where I work?am I wrong in getting upset? Does this practice not open everybody up for trouble? Not to mention a big fat waste of freaking time trying to figure out what pills were given and when?

Thoughts?
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-21-2014, 01:13 PM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 960 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Are you wrong for getting upset? No way!! The nurses should do NARC count before and after shift!! It is everybody's license on the line. As I was told in nursing school, "If you didn't write it down/count it out, it didn't happen."

I worked LTC also and have had nights like you described!! I also worked agency at LTC. Had a woman come up to me and say, "Give me the meds for room ___." I said No way! I have no clue who you are! She said she was DON. I said prove it. I want picture ID, or you are not touching my cart! She provided ID!! It was like DAMN!! I am not stupid and I will NOT turn the keys to my med cart over to anyone w/o proper ID!!

That was my first night as agency nurse there. The second one was just as weird. They had 3 agency nurses all working the same unit. I was there to CLEAN the carts!! I cleaned them til the shined, and also helped the other RN pass meds. Needless to say, I didn't go back!!
Poliopioneer, Kylee and Melinurse like this.

Karen, RN,

Failure is NOT an option!! Gene Kranz during the Apollo 13 crisis.

When God leads you to it, He WILL lead you through it!
Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to kwagner_51 For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-21-2014, 02:15 PM

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,199 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I agree with Karen too causal for me and begs to have a big time state investigation.
Melinurse likes this.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:38 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I'd be looking for someplace else to work, and yesterday. No job is worth risking your license and your integrity over someone else's laziness and negligence.
Kylee and Melinurse like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 05:53 PM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

CYA you did the right thing totally agree with you. I smell something fishy with this from the previous shifts. Is there some one that is helping themselves? You have to wonder!!
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Sabby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Ditto what the other said.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:08 AM

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,690 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Dear Alice

You have brought up one of my major concerns with 'team nursing'. This is the major reason I went into the occ health/md office type nursing to begin with-we keep NO narcotics on our construction sites (except the one where we had an MD on board and ACLS protocols)

You were absolutely correct in what you did. Will it win you friends? NOPE. Will it protect your license! Yes...and ultimately we should protect our licenses and take care of the residents/patients. A major part of that is accountability!! Other's opinions just don't matter. So what if you are labeled 'difficult' or 'bossy'. (some of my labels when I was in team nursing) No one can dispute that you did the right thing for all concerned. Even if it means you discover an abuser. ~scooting soap box back under desk~

Hugs
kwagner_51 and Sabby like this.

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)..