Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Hospital Death Rates

USA Today, August 20, 2008

...Until today, hospital death rates were closely guarded secrets, discussed in board rooms but beyond the reach of patients whose lives are on the line. That changed this morning when USA TODAY posted on its website the government's best estimates of heart attack, heart failure and pneumonia death rates for every U.S. hospital for two years.
Now anyone with access to a computer can directly compare a local hospital with the one across town to see how it stacks up against the biggest medical institutions nationwide.

http://www.hospitalcompare.hhs.gov/H...rchOptions.asp

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 08-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Haunted

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I read that. BUT, the stats are not relatively current. I would also like to know how many beds per facility. Mortality and morbidity are big issues when nurses are looking at where they want to work.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 08-20-2008, 06:06 PM

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

How accurate are the stats? How do they determine whether someone died from a nosocomial / hospital acquired infection attributed to being immunocompromised? Could one area have more virulent strains of diseases than others?

Really, I think this is wrong, and I can see good institutions, nurses, doctors and other health professionals being labelled unfairly, as their patients have less confidence in them in the first place.

My mummy, and my two gorgeous grandnieces, Sienna and Lily xxx
Old 08-20-2008, 06:28 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The hospital where I am a patient is not even listed on the website.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:23 PM
GigiRN

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Baystate Medical Center listed very well but I expected that it would since it was judged one of the top hospitals in 2007. It is a magnet hospital. I don't work there but if I were a patient that's where I would go.