Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jules64
  • 1 Post By DutchgirlRN
  • 1 Post By SVL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 04:47 PM

Thanked 1,118 Times in 728 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Homework Help

Quote:
Reflect on your practice and identify a significant clinical issue that you would like to search for evidence in online sources. This issue will be the basis for the Research Database Assignment that you will submit in Week 5. Describe what makes your issue significant, e.g., the seriousness, the number of people affected, the gaps in knowledge, etc.
I need some ideas on things that I can research. Someone has already posted about the use of hand sanitizer, another about wound care in the home. My lack of experience as an RN is hindering me here when considering an issue to think about. Perhaps infection control, but what about it? What specifically so that I can focus my research.... or something about patient outcomes... errr... help? ideas?

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-04-2012, 05:12 PM

Thanked 1,104 Times in 630 Posts
My Mood:

What are significant issues in your hospital. Catheter related UTI's? Ventilator accquired pneumonia? Central line infections? Spread of MRSA or VRE? Medication distribution system (is it confusing? are there similar dosages or meds stored in close proximity?) How does the shift work affect the staff? Are higher acuity patients always located in other areas? If not do they adjust the number of patients one nurse may have if she has a patient with a higher acuity? Just a few things to think about....
SVL likes this.

It's not what you are that holds you back, it's what you think you are not.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

If I remember correctly, I used Hospital Acquired Infections. There lots of research plus the new Medicare rules of not paying for HAI's.
SVL likes this.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 11-04-2012, 06:20 PM

My Mood:

I wonder if studying MRSA would be a good one. I read some article recently in a journal that argued that sufficient hand washing was enough to keep it from spreading, that isolation was not necessary. Then on top of it my hospital will isolate for Hx of, even if it was in a wound that has been closed for YEARS, if the patient has a Hx, they are isolated. It's a little crazy...

Great ideas you guys gave. I need to think about this some more and ponder the possibilities.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:33 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,711 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVL View Post
I wonder if studying MRSA would be a good one. I read some article recently in a journal that argued that sufficient hand washing was enough to keep it from spreading, that isolation was not necessary. Then on top of it my hospital will isolate for Hx of, even if it was in a wound that has been closed for YEARS, if the patient has a Hx, they are isolated. It's a little crazy...

Great ideas you guys gave. I need to think about this some more and ponder the possibilities.

HELL does this too....the VA does not.. if you have 3 clean nasal swabs, you're out of isolation...

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 11-04-2012, 07:50 PM

My Mood:

I went with "How can we prevent non-socomial infections?" and my basis for the research was that it was costly for the hospital and community. I found a source saying it cost us about $4.5 billion per year, and then also because they can be fatal with a source saying it cost us about 90k lives per year. I think it will be a good topic. My hospital also has a good infection control department that I'm sure I could gather some data from them about my hospital specifically. :) Thanks for the ideas everyone.
Sabby likes this.