Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By frogger32091
  • 1 Post By Melinurse
  • 2 Post By frogger32091
  • 1 Post By Kylee
  • 1 Post By SVL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 04:04 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wink Hello Again

I know I have been MIA, and I am so sorry for that. It has been crazy around here. I think about you guys often though. I was without a computer for over a month right at the end of my semester. Then we moved (did not have any notice - the landlord let our house we were renting go into foreclosure) However, I got a few emails from friends on here checking on me and so I thought I would stop by and say hello.

Hard to believe but I am graduating in two days. Well, technically finishing my program in two days. I have my pinning ceremony Friday and my other graduation next Saturday. Hard to believe that it has been two years already. I have come so far. I really did not think I was learning anything, but I took my exit exam today and scored a 94% without studying. I wanted to see how much I learned and I went into the test thinking that the teacher was not going to count the grade, since that is what she told us, but she changed it after we took the test and it ended up being 40% of our grade for our final class. So glad I did good on the test. Very happy with my score. So that means that I will be graduating with honors. I am so very happy. It has been such a long road.

Speaking of long roads. Would you please share with me your experience at applying for sitting for your boards? Here is why I ask. We were told that our program director is applying for us to the board of nursing to get us approved for sitting for the test. However, she wants to wait until after we get a green light from this program ATI before she files the paperwork. One of my classmates called the board cause she has an LPN and is going to be switching to an RN and wanted to check on the process. The board told her that we the students have to file our applications even if the school is paying for the test. They said it takes them 30 days to finish their part. Then I learned today that the testing company Pearson also wants me to file an application with them, but I cannot do that until the board approves me first. Then Pearson takes UP TO 4 weeks to process their application and finally I get my ATT paper. That is two months of waiting before I can take my boards. Is this normal? I ask because my program director has been telling us that we will be able to take our boards in October and there is no way if it takes both places a month each.

I have been offered a nursing assistant job at one of the hospitals here but I have to promise them at least 6 months. One GN program starts in October and you must have your ATT paper to apply the other GN program starts in Feb or March but they do not allow nurses that are already licensed. I have an instructor/doctor that has promised to get me a job once I get my license. So I am confused. I need to work. We are barely making ends meet and are sinking fast because of the move and the increase in rent. I love that I have a guaranteed job once I am licensed, but I can't help wondering if I should not take the nursing assistant job and just wait on the nursing job for 6 months so I can start working now. I do not know what to do and I do not know if my school is playing games with us again or if what they are saying and doing is true. All I know is I need a paycheck and I am tired of my school's games and I cannot wait to be done with them.

Any advise or help or shared experience would be appreciated. Since I have never gone through this process I have no clue what to expect. Thank you and it feels good to be back. :)
Sabby, Glendah46 and R Cane like this.

Frogger RN :) LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to frogger32091 For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-10-2012, 04:53 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

Welcome back and congradulations on graduating nursing school. I think all I had to do for the boards was wait for school to submit their paperwork and then I scheduled my NCLEX through Pearsonvue. I think it took about a month before I could do it but I took a little longer just to study a bit more. ( I was nervous )

As for the job situation I can see pros and cons either way. You & your family will have do what you got to do to make ends meet. Maybe you could compromise.Do the nurse assist thing and once you have your RN also work per diem at a facility? Just be aware that if you do the nurse assist thing and you have a license, you are held to those standards of practice as a RN. I say make a list of pros and cons for each situation and then discuss them with your family and get their input.

Best wishes and congrads.
Kylee likes this.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:24 PM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Hi Frogger, firstly it is nice to see you and congratulations on getting your RN. I know you will do well and do not fret the NCLEX.

Go with your gut re the job situation hon. I would lean towards waiting for the RN otherwise as Meli said you will be held accountable to a higher standard even being an Aide.

Here in NC you cannot work as an Aide if you have your RN licensure. Well that is what my previous boss told me *yawn* Yeah she was a doozy.

No matter what things will turn around for you and your family my dear.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Sabby For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 PM

Thanked 1,118 Times in 728 Posts
My Mood:

First, Congratulation on completing school. What an accomplishment!

Second: My test taking experience. I used Kaplan Test Prep and that's all I used. I did practice questions daily and watched the refresher videos and read the book that came along with the course.

When I sat down for my exam the screen looked very similar, almost identical to what I had been practicing at home so the familiarity of the format helped ease my nerves a little bit. Overall, I didn't feel the NCLEX was that difficult. I finished pretty quickly, more quickly than most- so I thought I failed at the time when my test shut off at 75, but just a few days later I found out that I had passed.

You'll do fine, just go with a program stick with that and follow it through. Be committed and study regularly. Don't over do it, but don't under do it. Best of luck!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:12 PM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 960 Posts
My Mood:

Hi Frogger congratulations on passing Nursing school!!

If you are going to be working as an RN in the same place/floor as an aid..it may be a bad idea. The pts will remember you working as an aid and may NOT trust you as an RN.

I would use the time between pinning and the test to study.

Good luck!!

Karen, RN,

Failure is NOT an option!! Gene Kranz during the Apollo 13 crisis.

When God leads you to it, He WILL lead you through it!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 AM

My Mood:

Thank you all for your advise and words of encouragement. I have decided to wait for a bit. One of my classmates was offered a job at the hospital she did her preceptorship at and had to turn it down because she is moving out of town. However, she recommended me to the manager in her place. I am waiting now to hear back from that manager to see if she would truly be interested in me for the position. I hope so, but I am not taking anything for granted.

I wish we used the Kaplan NCLEX study plan. Everyone I have talked to that used it said that they had no issues taking the NCLEX. I have gotten various reports from the ATI program we are using. Some said that they passed, some said they used ATI and Kaplan and passed, others have said they failed miserably. I guess there is no 100% sure fire way to know that you will pass. I am using the program that the school is offering me and also studying from my Saunder's NCLEX review book. I hope that it will lead to a passing grade. :)

Thank you all for sharing your NCLEX stories and the congratulations. It still feels surreal to me to be done with school. We had our pinning ceremony this past Friday and we have our graduation this coming up Saturday, yet it is still hard to remember that I am done with the school part. :)

Well, I better go study. I plan to try to devote at least two hours a day to studying. I hope that it will be enough, but I worry if I aim for more than that then I won't get any done. Gotta keep it realistic.

Talk to you all soon.
Sabby and Melinurse like this.

Frogger RN :) LOL!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 AM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 960 Posts
My Mood:
Wink

Hi Frogger,

I couldn't afford Kaplan. However I did read and practice all sections of the Saunders NCLEX prep. I studied what I thought were my weak areas the most. GI, Cardo, Endocrine, and skimmed over the OB and Peds. I also used the CD to take practice tests.

I passed the first time through.

I spent about 2 hrs a day reading and practicing. My sons were in Boy Scouts and I took the book with me and read by car light waiting for their meetings to end. :)

I had 2 classmates that had to take the test several times. One because she was nervous and the other because he was thinking like an engineer and not a nurse. I finally told him to remember the basics ABC: Airway Breathing and Circulation. He passed and became an excellent nurse!!

You can do this!!

Good luck!!

Karen, RN,

Failure is NOT an option!! Gene Kranz during the Apollo 13 crisis.

When God leads you to it, He WILL lead you through it!
The Following User Says Thank You to kwagner_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 12:50 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwagner_51 View Post
Hi Frogger congratulations on passing Nursing school!!

If you are going to be working as an RN in the same place/floor as an aid..it may be a bad idea. The pts will remember you working as an aid and may NOT trust you as an RN.

I would use the time between pinning and the test to study.

Good luck!!

Where I work, we are not permitted to work the same floor as an RN as you were when you were a nursing assistant. That is good in a way because I won't have to deal with the coworkers who constantly gave me crap about my schedule ("You ALWAYS get the Monday holidays off" and "Why do you work EVERY weekend"). I always had the Monday holidays off because I had class that day. No amount of explaining that even though it is a holiday, I still had class worked. And I worked every weekend because I had late afternoon classes that interfered with work, so I worked every weekend. Geez...

On the other hand, I am not sure I want to work 3 out of the 4 available floors that are left... which is why I asked the unit manager of the Hospice unit to be my mentor--- I told her I wanted to come work for her after graduation... and she's been very supportive. I am really praying that I can work her floor.

14 1/2 months to go......
PA-NURSE likes this.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 09-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Thanked 1,118 Times in 728 Posts
My Mood:

I've also heard very good things about Saunders, as Karen said. I used the book during school to practice specific topics. I would recommend that as well if Kaplan wasn't an option.
Sabby likes this.