Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default The Gift of Being a Nurse

My mom and dad died at home. And both of them died with dignity and grace, in their own beds, surrounded by those they loved.

I had watched hundreds of people die over my years of nursing, but my own father was the best. He was 76 years old when he found out he had lung cancer. For a man who never smoked it was a shock but he rebounded from the news quickly.

He was completely unafraid. It was only three months from the time of his diagnosis to the day of his death. And he used up every moment, living. In those three months, he called all his friends around him and spoke to each alone, reminding them of the kind and memorable things each of them did to make his life special, more loving, more interesting, and then he thanked them for it.

When one of his grandchildren asked him why he wasn't afraid, he answered, "Life has been incredibly kind to me, I have no reason to believe that death will be less kind."

My father was never a man to stay in any one place long. For years, he visited my sister and me every night, and never took his hat off. When I asked him why, he told me, "I never want to overstay my welcome." I could have told him there was no chance of that, but my father was not a man one argued with.

My mother on the other hand lived till she was 94, and she never minded "overstaying" anywhere. She was determined to squeeze every ounce of love out of life. She set out from the day I was born to make sure none of the kids in our family would ever have a fear of abandonment. She was a mother who felt most valuable and complete because she was a mother, or a grandmother, or a great grandmother or a great great grandmother.

She valued her ability to cook, feed and nurture as much as my father valued his ability to read all the Harvard Classics and go to college when he was 70 for an anthropology course.

My being a nurse, and my family's willingness to help, allowed me to give them both the gift of dying at home.

But the moments I treasure most about the intimacy of that time, will be etched in my mind, in pictures, tears and laughter, forever. They act as a shield to keep me from having any fear of death. That is the biggest gift any parent can give a child, and it has always helped me live my own life much more fully.

Carol Gino

http://hopefulhealer.com/

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-29-2011, 05:33 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

I so enjoyed reading that article, it made me cry. What a wonderful story.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-29-2011, 11:55 AM

Thanked 1,104 Times in 630 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

That is a beautiful story. My Dad is my hero. He gave me the gift of teaching me how to stand on my own two feet and depend on myself. He also taught me to stand up for what I believe in and fight for what I wanted. He is kind, intelligent and funny. I could only hope to be a small bit of the person he is.

It's not what you are that holds you back, it's what you think you are not.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
The Following User Says Thank You to jules64 For This Useful Post: