Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Melinurse
  • 1 Post By DutchgirlRN
  • 1 Post By HeartThrobRN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 09:10 AM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Fall Prevention

Ok, so this picture is for fun but it does show us something that is not funny, patient falls, patient safety. Patient safety is a serious topic.

Even with hourly rounding this still can happen. Especially with elderly demetia patients. So lets talk fall prevention.
Several factors can lead to a fall. Loss of footing or traction is a common cause of falls. So I make sure they have on their non-slip socks.

Regardless of age your patients may have a variety of chronic medical conditions that have them on several meds. People with chronic illnesses that affect their circulation, sensation, mobility, or mental alertness as well as those taking some types of medications are more likely to fall as a result of drug-related side effects such as dizziness, confusion, disorientation, or slowed reflexes.

Other reasons people fall:
unsteady gait
weakness
need to get to the bathroom ( this is why we do hourly rounds )
mental status ( already sorta covered but it is important )
polypharmacy ( also already covered but needs to be said again )
disease process

Let us remember the 6 P's of Fall Prevention:
1) Pain - " Are you having any pain? "
2) Potty - " Do you need to use the bathroom? ( if incontinent check brief )"
3) Pulmonary Hygiene - "Have you used your incentive spirometer?"
4) Possessions - " Is the call light in reach? Do they have water close by? Tissues? etc.
5) Position- " Would you like help to the chair or back to bed ?" " Are you comfortable in this position?"
6) Place - Table, trash, glasses, phone within reach?
canigraduate likes this.

Last edited by Melinurse; 11-05-2015 at 09:33 AM. Reason: I am not the best at writing & made a grammar opps!
Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melinurse For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-06-2015, 07:03 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Thanks Meli for the great info. Falls are a PIA for everyone. Gees, at my old job we had to call the doctor, fill out a paper SOE and another SOE on the computer. Hopefully, I won't run across any current falls on my new job
Melinurse likes this.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-07-2015, 05:09 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Agreed. Falls are a PIA. At my old job we had to call EVERYBODY about a fall. Including the CNO. No matter what time it was. Even with everything in place falls can still happen, but we do try our best.
Melinurse likes this.