Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DutchgirlRN
  • 1 Post By Kylee
  • 1 Post By Nurseforever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 03:29 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default DNP?, PhD in education?

Looking for suggestions or alternatives. I would like to persue my DNP or PhD in nursing.

Here's the issue....either way I go I'm going to have clinicals and finding a preceptor is terribly difficult. Just not up to dealing with that again.

Any suggestions on another field of nursing that does not require a clinicals but would help me by betteriing my resume to get an online teaching position? It is difficult to get a position because everyone wants experience. The old catch 22.

I wish I could get my foot in the door somewhere, at least one class, to be able to start saying that I have experience.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 12-02-2015, 09:47 AM

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,199 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchgirlRN View Post
Looking for suggestions or alternatives. I would like to persue my DNP or PhD in nursing.

Here's the issue....either way I go I'm going to have clinicals and finding a preceptor is terribly difficult. Just not up to dealing with that again.

Any suggestions on another field of nursing that does not require a clinicals but would help me by betteriing my resume to get an online teaching position? It is difficult to get a position because everyone wants experience. The old catch 22.

I wish I could get my foot in the door somewhere, at least one class, to be able to start saying that I have experience.
I am in the same boat, either online teaching experience or Doctorate. What about Health Care Adm ? I think most online positions go in house to the established Brick and Mortar instructors.

Have you looked at https://www.higheredjobs.com/faculty/
The Following User Says Thank You to Nurseforever For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 12-02-2015, 09:59 AM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurseforever View Post
I am in the same boat, either online teaching experience or Doctorate. What about Health Care Adm ? I think most online positions go in house to the established Brick and Mortar instructors.

Have you looked at https://www.higheredjobs.com/faculty/
Thanks so much Alex, will definitely check this out

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 12-02-2015, 10:46 AM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

What about starting out as a substitute teacher at a local community college part time. Teach LPNs/RNs or even CNAs classes. All adds up to experience without shelling out more $$$$. I know the pay sucks and all but it is experience. Most of our local colleges/tech schools just require a BSN and 2 yrs experience. And I second what Nurseforever wrote too. Anyways, it is just a thought.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinurse View Post
What about starting out as a substitute teacher at a local community college part time. Teach LPNs/RNs or even CNAs classes. All adds up to experience without shelling out more $$$$. I know the pay sucks and all but it is experience. Most of our local colleges/tech schools just require a BSN and 2 yrs experience. And I second what Nurseforever wrote too. Anyways, it is just a thought.
and it's a good thought! Thanks!
Melinurse likes this.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 12-02-2015, 12:08 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,711 Posts
My Mood:

Only need a BSN to teach LPN students here. Funny that they want experience when there is such a shortage of instructors. I have heard that the pay sucks, which is why most of my instructors are still working part time as Med Surg and Critical Care nurses. They said they made more money working at the hospital, but they like the interaction with students, so they teach.
Melinurse likes this.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 12-02-2015, 12:36 PM

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,199 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Pay to teach is awful pay as Clinical Instructor is not bad about the market rate for nurses. But you will never get hired full time as a CI.

Even though I have almost 10 years as CI, does not count to much for classroom teaching.
Melinurse likes this.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:01 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurseforever View Post
Pay to teach is awful pay as Clinical Instructor is not bad about the market rate for nurses. But you will never get hired full time as a CI.

Even though I have almost 10 years as CI, does not count to much for classroom teaching.

Pay is always based on demographics, the tech school , college versus a university. Around this area it is aweful pay. But I hear in some areas the pay to teach is about the same a hospital pay.