Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2015, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Desk duty this week d/t injury

I had a dementia pt this week wake up at 2 AM in a rampage. We ran to this person's room because the bed exit alarm sounded. Pt was a high fall risk, so we got a chair behind this person and sat them down in the chair. The pt was still throwing punches and screaming. I went to go hold down one armand this pt kicked my knee cap sideways. OUCH!!!

We were so short staffed that I had to finish my shift before I could go down to the ER for an xray. They think my MCL is torn. I won't know for sure until the MRI.

I'm a new nurse, only been on the job 90 days. I can't afford to take time off right now. UGH! I'm really hoping I don't need surgery. So, I'm on desk duty for the remainder of the week until we know what's going on. Crutches and no weight bearing until Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-25-2015, 07:31 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 941 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

oh CRAP! What a bad hand to get dealt so soon into your job! Well, the GOOD news is this is Worker's Comp for certain, no one can question that. But you're right in that you just don't need to get stuck with this just yet. Maybe, hopefully, it'll be a quick fix (arthroscopic surgery isn't even an admission) and you won't need much time. And DO make sure to file that WC claim!
Old 10-25-2015, 07:35 PM

My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreDilaudidPlease! View Post
oh CRAP! What a bad hand to get dealt so soon into your job! Well, the GOOD news is this is Worker's Comp for certain, no one can question that. But you're right in that you just don't need to get stuck with this just yet. Maybe, hopefully, it'll be a quick fix (arthroscopic surgery isn't even an admission) and you won't need much time. And DO make sure to file that WC claim!
Yes. What MDP said.
Melinurse and SopranoKris like this.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:37 PM

My Mood:

Take it easy tonight!
Melinurse and SopranoKris like this.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-25-2015, 10:46 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreDilaudidPlease! View Post
Thanks! I sure hope it's a quick fix. I'm going back to the doc on Thurs. Yes, I filed an incident report right after it happened and went to Occupational Health because it is WC. The ER filed it as WC, too.
Poliopioneer and Melinurse like this.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:10 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

Sending good mojo your way.
SopranoKris likes this.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:20 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Old, cynical, and 20 years in work comp case management here:
Just because you saw employee health for a work comp injury does NOT mean that you can't be seen and treated by your orthopod of choice. You are NOT required to treat only c the employee health doc or whoever they want to refer you to. Make an appointment to see the best knee guy in your area now (call up the ortho floor and ask the nurses there who that is), and bring your comp claim number to use as your insurance coverage-- you do know that work comp is insurance, right? Didn't get the claim number yet? Could be a red flag-- most comp carriers require their insureds (your hospital is their insured) to report a claim within 24-72 hours.
I'm sure your hospital is lovely and all, but if you are such a short-term employee they're going to be looking to take the easy way out. Play it straight, you don't need a lawyer yet despite what the daytime TV says, but do get your ducks in a row. See the best knee guy around asap. And when the adjuster calls you, ask for them to assign you a nurse case manager. Insist on it and don't take no for an answer.
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrnTea For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2015, 08:29 PM

Please listen to GT and do what she said. I hope that your injury heals and that things soon go back to normal.
SopranoKris likes this.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:44 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

Update please. How is your knee doing?
SopranoKris likes this.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:02 PM

Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I hope you heal quickly and completely, and that everything goes smoothly with your WC claim. I really hope that they go out of their way to make this as easy as possible! I mean it's the least they can do after making you finish a shift on a probably-torn MCL.