Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > The Nurse Forums > ER Nursing

User Tag List

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By DutchgirlRN
  • 1 Post By SopranoKris
  • 1 Post By Melinurse
  • 1 Post By SopranoKris
  • 2 Post By Nurseforever
  • 1 Post By Kylee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2015, 09:57 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default ER Nursing

Added by special request. Enjoy ~
Melinurse and Emergent like this.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-04-2016, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Hoping to transfer to ER soon :)

Every time I float to the ER, I just love it there. It's where I want to be. I'm counting down the days until I can post for a transfer. Taking ACLS next week!
Melinurse likes this.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-05-2016, 10:42 AM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I enjoy the times I float to the ER too. Until a pediatric patient comes in. I just can't seem to separate myself when it comes to kids. I just really hate seeing kids in pain or not feeling good.

Most of the time I just do all the IV's and lab draws when I float but now & then I get an assignment so I have to start my ACLS/PALS.
SopranoKris likes this.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:03 AM

Passed ACLS...YAY :)

Now I'm just waiting for them to open the new night shift ER posts. They just transitioned a big group from nights to afternoons, so the posts should open up pretty soon. Really hoping having ACLS already completed helps me get an interview (fingers crossed)!
Melinurse likes this.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:15 PM

Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,196 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I would think your acls would be a good thing, any other in services you can take, good luck.
Melinurse and SopranoKris like this.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:59 AM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,707 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopranoKris View Post
Passed ACLS...YAY :)

Now I'm just waiting for them to open the new night shift ER posts. They just transitioned a big group from nights to afternoons, so the posts should open up pretty soon. Really hoping having ACLS already completed helps me get an interview (fingers crossed)!
I have heard the test is a BITCH. True? Not true?
Melinurse likes this.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 06-27-2016, 09:54 AM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylee View Post
I have heard the test is a BITCH. True? Not true?

In my opinion, true. While one of my co-workers thought it was not as difficult as it was hyped up to be.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:44 AM

I felt it was just a lot of memorization. You have to memorize all the algorithms in order to know what to do with each scenario. I bought the book prior to class and studied for 3 weeks before taking the 2 day class. Before class, I thought there was no way I was going to remember everything. When you actually attend class and get to do the scenarios hands-on, that's when it "clicks".

The test is a "mega-code" situation where you come in and the patient is alert but having symptoms (e.g. SVT, SB, uncontrolled A-fib, etc.). During your interventions, the patient codes (either PEA or VFib/pVT), then you have to run the code, assign team roles, say which meds to administer, what Joules to set the defibrillator on, etc. Then the patient comes around and you initiate post-care based on their symptoms.

I didn't find the written portion that difficult. You take a pre-test prior to the 2 day class and most of what's on the written exam was on the pre-test. You really have to bone up on reading tele strips, too.

So, the exam itself wasn't all that bad. As long as you take the time to prepare in advance. The people in my class that struggled were the ones who didn't do much prep.