Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > The Nurse Forums > Advanced Practice Nurses

User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By SopranoKris
  • 3 Post By DutchgirlRN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2015, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Vanderbilt University - ACNP program

Anyone here have any experience/feedback with Vanderbilt's ACNP program? I'm very interested in the Hospitalist track for acute care NP.

They're sending me some info, but I'd love some feedback from anyone who might have experience with them or know of their reputation.

Thanks so much!
icurnmaggie likes this.
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-20-2015, 07:49 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopranoKris View Post
Anyone here have any experience/feedback with Vanderbilt's ACNP program? I'm very interested in the Hospitalist track for acute care NP.
The price is in excess of $90,000 a year. I know several NP's who have been through the program. The only advantage that I know of is that Vandy arranges the preceptorships. Otherwise it is a hurry, rush, rush, over-priced program. I went through Austin Peay and finished in 2 years. I already had my BSN. I paid $9,000 a year. I feel like a got a very good education. I went through TN's RODP program. Highly recommend it. Like every other school (other than Vandy) finding preceptors is a challenge. I had mine lined up before I ever started the program. My OB fell through because they signed a contract to take only Vandy students but at the last minute. Praise God I found a wonderul OB/GYN to take me in. Now let me rant just a bit about Vandy for non-nurses.

A person with a bachelor's in any area (business, marketing, education, basket weaving, etc) can get their ASN, BSN, MSN, and NP in 2 years. All they have to have is the money. Those 2 year NP's are having a very hard time finding a job and those that get one are having a hard time keep a job. How on earth can a non-nurse person become an NP in just 2 years? Impossible!

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-22-2015, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thank you so much! See...this is why I like to get word from people who know. I would have never known this about Vanderbilt. I have contacted other schools, such as Georgetown, Duke, Johns Hopkins & Michigan. I'm really trying to find a program that has online course. I can get my preceptors arranged through my hospital since I'm going for the ACNP. While I know I could do University of Michigan, I'd be required to drive there for some classes. It's over an hour drive each way and kind of a treacherous drive in the winter. Unfortunately, Michigan State only has FNP, which is not what I'm looking for.