Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > The Nurse Forums > Advanced Practice Nurses

User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SopranoKris
  • 1 Post By KatieMI
  • 1 Post By Kylee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default UM-Flint DNP

Well, after doing a ton a research on programs, I have finally settled on going to University of Michigan (Flint campus, not Ann Arbor). They have a BSN-to-DNP program that fits really well with my schedule and it would only be a 40 minute drive when I'm required to go to campus. I had looked at programs at the main campus, but I can't commit to driving to Ann Arbor once a week. It's just too treacherous of a drive in the winter. Too many accidents on Hwy 127 for me to feel safe about it!

I found out that if I want to be an NP in the ER, I have to get a dual FNP/ACNP so I'm going to do the DNP in the FNP track and then get the ACNP post-graduate certificate. It's going to take 5 years start to finish with the dual certification, but I feel it will be well worth it to a) have the doctorate, b) have a lengthy, in-depth program so I'm getting a thorough education and c) do research, which feels daunting right now, but I think I have an inkling on what I would like to research and that makes me feel excited to do it.

I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I'm excited because becoming an NP was my goal for pursuing nursing. I had originally gone in to this to go on to PA school, but as I went through nursing school, I just found I love being a nurse and the nursing model of education. In my state, PAs & NPs have the same authority, so the job market is pretty good for NPs. The hospital I work for has lots of NPs jobs in Acute Care (ER, ICU, etc.) which is what I really want to do. I'm nervous because: graduate school! The higher expectations, the tougher degree to which you're evaluated, etc. It's going to be a lot of work.

I was originally going to do just the MSN-FNP w/ACNP certification, but after comparing the timeline, it seemed like taking the extra year to earn the DNP was worth it. I can always opt to teach later down the road. That is very appealing to me. I love to train new nurses on our unit and I think I would enjoy teaching when I'm ready to step away from the bedside.

I'm applying to begin Fall 2017. Here we go.....
Melinurse likes this.
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-03-2016, 04:54 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I am in there in MSN/FNP program. Please feel free to PM me!
SopranoKris likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to KatieMI For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-03-2016, 08:36 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

That is great. Congrats.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:54 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopranoKris View Post
Well, after doing a ton a research on programs, I have finally settled on going to University of Michigan (Flint campus, not Ann Arbor). They have a BSN-to-DNP program that fits really well with my schedule and it would only be a 40 minute drive when I'm required to go to campus. I had looked at programs at the main campus, but I can't commit to driving to Ann Arbor once a week. It's just too treacherous of a drive in the winter. Too many accidents on Hwy 127 for me to feel safe about it!

I found out that if I want to be an NP in the ER, I have to get a dual FNP/ACNP so I'm going to do the DNP in the FNP track and then get the ACNP post-graduate certificate. It's going to take 5 years start to finish with the dual certification, but I feel it will be well worth it to a) have the doctorate, b) have a lengthy, in-depth program so I'm getting a thorough education and c) do research, which feels daunting right now, but I think I have an inkling on what I would like to research and that makes me feel excited to do it.

I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I'm excited because becoming an NP was my goal for pursuing nursing. I had originally gone in to this to go on to PA school, but as I went through nursing school, I just found I love being a nurse and the nursing model of education. In my state, PAs & NPs have the same authority, so the job market is pretty good for NPs. The hospital I work for has lots of NPs jobs in Acute Care (ER, ICU, etc.) which is what I really want to do. I'm nervous because: graduate school! The higher expectations, the tougher degree to which you're evaluated, etc. It's going to be a lot of work.

I was originally going to do just the MSN-FNP w/ACNP certification, but after comparing the timeline, it seemed like taking the extra year to earn the DNP was worth it. I can always opt to teach later down the road. That is very appealing to me. I love to train new nurses on our unit and I think I would enjoy teaching when I'm ready to step away from the bedside.

I'm applying to begin Fall 2017. Here we go.....
Ciongrats! You're so much braver than I am. The one BSN-DNP program I looked at had me very overwhelmed. I'm sure you will do well. You will be an awesome instructor when that time comes.
SopranoKris likes this.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN