Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > The Nurse Forums > RN's

User Tag List

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2015, 10:33 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Didn't want a BSN but had no choice in the matter

After 10 years as an RN I decided I wanted to be a Nurse Practitioner so at age 56 I re-entered the college life. I had to get my BSN if I wanted to be an NP so naturally that is what I did first. Of course I didn't get any raise or recognition at work that I had earned my BSN. I certainly did not want to go into any kind of management. I am a nurse who loves patient care. Hated to spend the time and money to get my BSN but what other choice did I have?

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-15-2015, 07:47 AM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,401 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I hear ya. Working in academia they really want at least a BSN, but I am not doing it. Luckily, because I got certified in a specialty that is hard to get into and hard to recruit for I am fine. For now.

At age 53 the debt load just doesn't make sense for me. I want to retire at 62!

The Following User Says Thank You to crunch For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-15-2015, 02:46 PM

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,199 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

My MSN did not add a dime to my salary. Crunch I agree if you plan on staying at the same place there is no value to a BSN.
icurnmaggie likes this.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:05 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurseforever View Post
My MSN did not add a dime to my salary. Crunch I agree if you plan on staying at the same place there is no value to a BSN.
Mine did. I got hired at a community hospital as a clin spec and they gave $400 hiring bonuses for BSN and another $300 for everything after that. Of course, they didn't tell me that...but one of my ICU staff did. I was down in HR in a flash and got a cool $700 for the trip.

And that's not counting the work I get now because of the "MN" after my name.
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society
The Following User Says Thank You to GrnTea For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2015, 07:56 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchgirlRN View Post
After 10 years as an RN I decided I wanted to be a Nurse Practitioner so at age 56 I re-entered the college life. I had to get my BSN if I wanted to be an NP so naturally that is what I did first. Of course I didn't get any raise or recognition at work that I had earned my BSN. I certainly did not want to go into any kind of management. I am a nurse who loves patient care. Hated to spend the time and money to get my BSN but what other choice did I have?
It frustrates me how nurses get no recognition for advances they make in their careers. When I got my oncology certification, I didn't get so much as a card, not even from my manager.

My health prevents me from going back to finish my BSN.
Also, now that I'm on SSDI, I can't afford it. My income is half what it was when I was working, and we got a little (very little) tuition reimbursement.
Nurseforever and HeartThrobRN like this.

</font></font></font>

Visit my blog at www.thebaldnurse.com

༄❀Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society❀༄
Old 10-17-2015, 08:17 PM

My Mood:

The hospital I used to work at did not compensate for having your BSN nor was there any recognition. My new job does. I was working on my BSN anyway, but, it is nice to be at least recognized for the work that you put it to your education.
GrnTea likes this.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:01 AM

My Mood:

I'm pushing 60 and have no plans for a BSN. I recommend it for anyone under 50 because the powers that be are requiring it.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:56 PM

My Mood:

When training here went to polytechnics and out of the hospital we had to do a Bachelors of nursing as opposed to a diploma. We dont have associate degrees

if someone could explain what the difference is between a bachelors and an associates degree I'd be most greatful
Old 10-25-2015, 03:31 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by "darkness" View Post
When training here went to polytechnics and out of the hospital we had to do a Bachelors of nursing as opposed to a diploma. We dont have associate degrees

if someone could explain what the difference is between a bachelors and an associates degree I'd be most greatful
Associate's is typically a 2 year program and Bachelor's takes 4 years.

Anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Bachelor's program provide more courses on leadership and such, and allows you to be eligible for a management position some time in the future. Obviously, they're both still taking the same NCLEX-RN.

(Now, this makes me wonder if you can still have a management position with an ADN degree?)
HeartThrobRN likes this.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:35 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I think that's about the size of it. Management, huh? After trying to work in the field following my Associate's Degree, I ended up leaving and managing apartment buildings with no education or training other than what I picked up following the plumbers and maintenance people around to clean up after them. I was in charge of several buildings for about six years and I didn't have a piece of White Cloud hanging up somewhere to prove that I could do it.

Somehow, I don't see where having sat in a classroom for so many years makes you a better candidate than someone who has learned Life's lessons well.