Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > The Nurse Forums > LPN's

User Tag List

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy

I am an LPN for 3 years now. I was a very hopeful young nurse ready to start my career as a nurse in my late 30's. I had landed my first job as an LPN at an assisted living facility. Let me tell you I grew to love my career choice and my residents. I could not wait to get to work. I felt important and needed and satisfaction of knowing I was helping people. I have a huge heart and it gets hurt easily but still no matter what I loved what I was doing.

It all changed one day after an incident on a shift worked when a few rca's came to me and reported a situation with another employee. Was informed this male employee was caught innapropriately touching the inner thigh of a resident. I immediately went back to check on this resident to get him away from her and get him out of the building. He was gone. I called two members of management that night to tell them to which I got no response. I worked the rest of the weekend and I seen this person did not. So I informed the rca's on nights about what happened before I went home. So if he came back he could be stopped and to call me if he did and call other members of management. Came in early next morning and reported incident to manager on duty with
another nurse present. Was told to not worry that she would handle it. So I worked rest of my schedule and weekend and had Monday off. Came back Tuesday to find out I was being called into office by administrator of building telling me by me not reporting I was just as guilly as he was. I was kind of confused as I had reported although got no answer that night but came in early to speak to manager on duty. I just didn't really understand why he was saying this to me. So after done went outside of his office and seen manager I reported to and asked her what was happening and what did she say to him. She then stated that she decided that she was not going to say anything that it should come from us girls. I said wait what but you are who I reported too. That began the undoing of me wanting to be a nurse. The man, the disgusting person who touched this resident apparently had done it again on the Monday I wasee off after my weekend but this time more was done.

Then started the investigation....that never was. He was put on paid leave for investigation. To which I assumed he would be gone. Then the next week came walking into work and there he was. I stood in shock. Shaking as I realized that this was not a good situation. A good place, nor good people, nor good management. I was then called into administratorsome office and he apologized to me for not calling me and letting me know the investigation was over. Was told that the investigation was done and was determined what the girls thought they saw was not really what happened. That corporate was involved, police, attorneys....etc. Family was informed and they did not believe anything had happened. I just sat there in shock. Shaking with tears in my eyes. Told administrator that I seen the look on those girls faces when they reported to me. They were not lying and that I no longer trust this man and I will watch him like a hawk. Then administrator told me that I should notry be that way and to remember it would be in my best interest to not speak of this again. I was mortified. But I knew I was being lied too and my job threatened.

Weeks went by with management being nasty towards me and my beloved job had become a miserable place. Then an employee was fired for something that did not happen and this employee went to state. 6 months after incident state came in and investigated and found all the lies and cover up. They discovered no record of incident. No police report, in fact office named in an email to company did not even exist. All my statements were gone. Attorney General of state came in it was a big to do. Family of resident came in and had only found out about an incident of touching which they were never informed of and that the nurse on duty...me as they were told by administration that I never reported. So then it was throw the new nurse to the wolves. I was threatened by family about my license taken away and I was disgusting. How could I even look at myself and I was told by administration to keep quiet if I liked my job. I was heart broken. I had reported it. State Attorney General questioned me many times and the girls as well. They were also going after management for question...like where is all the papers showing you investigated. None could be produced. They spoke to my witness to me reporting and confirmed my story. Then questioned them again. The managementsame story changed many many times. Myself and my rca'a story was the same whole time because we were telling the truth. The family was eventually told the truth. Man was eventually convicted and hoping the rest of management is too.

Can anyone help me? My love for this career of mine has gone since this happened. I tried several other jobs and I hate it. I don't trust management. I feel like what happened ruined me. I have tried to not feel this way but I do. I loved all my residents. I loved being a nurse. But now I feel like I don't belong anymore. Hate this job. Can anyone offer advice?
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-19-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskyjewel View Post
Hopefully I'll pass my NCLEX the first time and be a LPN early next year, and I can get this forum hopping! :)
Congratulations on taking the Nclex LPN exam. I am so happy that you are taking the exam. I hope to be taking the exam soon myself. I understand that it is good to have many degrees available to us because you never know what will transpire in this lifetime. We change careers more and more nowadays and a lot of people were going back to school at ages from 40-60 years old. I was shocked to see that. So, you never know what will happen or what you will need. It is good to have however an article or resource on the body systems for a reference in nursing and here it is:

https://www.acls.net/study-guide-body-systems.htm

I hope this helps.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-19-2016, 02:03 PM

Default I Started My Nursing Career as an LPN

That is so wonderful that you started your nursing career as an LPN. My friend started her nursing career in high school getting her CNA. Then, she received her LPN, then she received her BSN RN, and now she is receiving her masters degree. So, starting at basic nursing level can lead to masters level in nursing. Congratulations and I wish you the very best.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:07 PM

Default RE: Nursing Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzieqdogs View Post
I am an LPN for 3 years now. I was a very hopeful young nurse ready to start my career as a nurse in my late 30's. I had landed my first job as an LPN at an assisted living facility. Let me tell you I grew to love my career choice and my residents. I could not wait to get to work. I felt important and needed and satisfaction of knowing I was helping people. I have a huge heart and it gets hurt easily but still no matter what I loved what I was doing.

It all changed one day after an incident on a shift worked when a few rca's came to me and reported a situation with another employee. Was informed this male employee was caught innapropriately touching the inner thigh of a resident. I immediately went back to check on this resident to get him away from her and get him out of the building. He was gone. I called two members of management that night to tell them to which I got no response. I worked the rest of the weekend and I seen this person did not. So I informed the rca's on nights about what happened before I went home. So if he came back he could be stopped and to call me if he did and call other members of management. Came in early next morning and reported incident to manager on duty with
another nurse present. Was told to not worry that she would handle it. So I worked rest of my schedule and weekend and had Monday off. Came back Tuesday to find out I was being called into office by administrator of building telling me by me not reporting I was just as guilly as he was. I was kind of confused as I had reported although got no answer that night but came in early to speak to manager on duty. I just didn't really understand why he was saying this to me. So after done went outside of his office and seen manager I reported to and asked her what was happening and what did she say to him. She then stated that she decided that she was not going to say anything that it should come from us girls. I said wait what but you are who I reported too. That began the undoing of me wanting to be a nurse. The man, the disgusting person who touched this resident apparently had done it again on the Monday I wasee off after my weekend but this time more was done.

Then started the investigation....that never was. He was put on paid leave for investigation. To which I assumed he would be gone. Then the next week came walking into work and there he was. I stood in shock. Shaking as I realized that this was not a good situation. A good place, nor good people, nor good management. I was then called into administratorsome office and he apologized to me for not calling me and letting me know the investigation was over. Was told that the investigation was done and was determined what the girls thought they saw was not really what happened. That corporate was involved, police, attorneys....etc. Family was informed and they did not believe anything had happened. I just sat there in shock. Shaking with tears in my eyes. Told administrator that I seen the look on those girls faces when they reported to me. They were not lying and that I no longer trust this man and I will watch him like a hawk. Then administrator told me that I should notry be that way and to remember it would be in my best interest to not speak of this again. I was mortified. But I knew I was being lied too and my job threatened.

Weeks went by with management being nasty towards me and my beloved job had become a miserable place. Then an employee was fired for something that did not happen and this employee went to state. 6 months after incident state came in and investigated and found all the lies and cover up. They discovered no record of incident. No police report, in fact office named in an email to company did not even exist. All my statements were gone. Attorney General of state came in it was a big to do. Family of resident came in and had only found out about an incident of touching which they were never informed of and that the nurse on duty...me as they were told by administration that I never reported. So then it was throw the new nurse to the wolves. I was threatened by family about my license taken away and I was disgusting. How could I even look at myself and I was told by administration to keep quiet if I liked my job. I was heart broken. I had reported it. State Attorney General questioned me many times and the girls as well. They were also going after management for question...like where is all the papers showing you investigated. None could be produced. They spoke to my witness to me reporting and confirmed my story. Then questioned them again. The managementsame story changed many many times. Myself and my rca'a story was the same whole time because we were telling the truth. The family was eventually told the truth. Man was eventually convicted and hoping the rest of management is too.

Can anyone help me? My love for this career of mine has gone since this happened. I tried several other jobs and I hate it. I don't trust management. I feel like what happened ruined me. I have tried to not feel this way but I do. I loved all my residents. I loved being a nurse. But now I feel like I don't belong anymore. Hate this job. Can anyone offer advice?
I have been a nurse for about 16 years now and I have had many incidents where I question myself at the time of the incident. I should have done this and I should have done that. What if I did it this way? I can remember one incident where the client and I were walking up the stairs and all of the sudden, she started to go down on me; so I laid her down on the floor gently and I got the head nurse ASAP. After I documented everything, she seemed to be OK with me, but I was not OK with it. In fact, it made me very ill and I was out from work for two days. I totally understand where you are coming from. The thing that helped me get through it are these rationales:
1. I am a human being and falls will happen as long as I try my best to help to prevent them.
2. I try learn from any incident and try to prevent it from happening.
Please continue to be a nurse because we need a good nurse like yourself in the nursing profession today.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:08 PM

Default Reply

I have been a nurse for about 16 years now and I have had many incidents where I question myself at the time of the incident. I should have done this and I should have done that. What if I did it this way? I can remember one incident where the client and I were walking up the stairs and all of the sudden, she started to go down on me; so I laid her down on the floor gently and I got the head nurse ASAP. After I documented everything, she seemed to be OK with me, but I was not OK with it. In fact, it made me very ill and I was out from work for two days. I totally understand where you are coming from. The thing that helped me get through it are these rationales:
1. I am a human being and falls will happen as long as I try my best to help to prevent them.
2. I try learn from any incident and try to prevent it from happening.
Please continue to be a nurse because we need a good nurse like yourself in the nursing profession today.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:26 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchgirlRN View Post
I began my career as an LPN when I was 20 years old. I was an LPN for 23 years. At age 43 I decided I wanted a college degree. I went for Certified Public Accountant, did all the prerequisites, got 3 semesters into accounting and realized that it was not for me. I thought ok, I'll be an RN, and here I am.
I have no idea why I did not end with yes I am an RN but at age 59 I got my Master's and a am an FNP. I have toyed with the idea of getting my PhD and would if I didn't already have enough student loans to last the rest of my life.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2016, 07:08 PM

Default Nursing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzieqdogs View Post

I would definitely contact your supervisor and let them know about the incident. I would also make sure that you contact them as soon as you can. You can also confide into your co-wokers about this issue and see what they think about this aspect.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:10 PM

Default Nursing

I am so sorry about your experience. I have had experiences that have been hard for me as a nurse. I just told my supervisor about it and everything seemed to be OK. I think that if you can have an open conversation with your supervisor, it could be the best for you. I wish you all of the best. I hope everything works out.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Default LPN

Congratulations in getting your RN and deciding to go back to school. That is awesome. I am a CNA right now and I hope to get my LVN from California. I know that by getting your degree, it will help you. I am so glad though that you have enjoyed your LPN career. Thank you so very much for your services into the nursing community.
The Following User Says Thank You to Purplemouse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2017, 07:55 PM

Default I began my nursing career as an LPN

That is wonderful that you began your nursing career as an LPN. I am so thankful that you shared your story with everyone. I went to a BSN nursing school and it was too hard for me. So, I became a CNA and went into the health sciences in the nursing school. I am now trying to get my vocational nursing license. So, my advice is to take whatever life gives you and be flexible and grateful as well.