Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Student Lounge > Connect With Nursing Students

Connect With Nursing Students Talk about your nursing program or anything else

User Tag List

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2015, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default RN-to-BSN students

Any RN-to-BSN students out there? I just graduated with my ADN in May. I decided to take the Fall semester off so I could get used to working night shift and being a new nurse. Getting ready to jump back in to school for the BSN on Jan. 4th.

Anyone else out there doing RN-to-BSN right now? If all goes according to plan, I'll be done on Oct. 28th....YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-15-2016, 10:45 PM

Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopranoKris View Post
Any RN-to-BSN students out there? I just graduated with my ADN in May. I decided to take the Fall semester off so I could get used to working night shift and being a new nurse. Getting ready to jump back in to school for the BSN on Jan. 4th.

Anyone else out there doing RN-to-BSN right now? If all goes according to plan, I'll be done on Oct. 28th....YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good for you! I just finished my program this past year. I started it over 11 yrs ago, but I had some babies and earlier in my career had to work full time. Something had to give.

It was a lot of work, but I thought it was easier than my ADN program. The big thing was it was a lot of writing, and several group projects which are tricky when your entire group are adults working shift work, and many still having young kids at home; IOW, for whom scheduling time together is difficult. Also, my program had enough PHN coursework built into it that graduates automatically qualify for a PHN cert -- including a 60 hour public health practicum. I've heard from others in the area that their programs are much less than we had, though.

You won't regret just going for it relatively soon out of school, I don't think. The sooner you start, the sooner you'll be done!
Melinurse and SopranoKris like this.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-16-2016, 12:27 AM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I am doing the ADN-BSN thing. But right now we are getting overtime and I have not managed school timed assignments well with rotating shifts.
SopranoKris likes this.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:48 AM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,707 Posts
My Mood:

Went straight for the BSN as I had a BS in another field and it seemed to make more sense to go that route
Melinurse, GrnTea and SopranoKris like this.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 01-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I did RN-BSN online after years of being an ASN and found it relatively easy. A lot of papers to write but I don't mind writing papers. Statistics is the only class I can say that I had trouble with. If it hadn't been for my son I probably would have had to repeat it.
SopranoKris likes this.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 01-17-2016, 02:18 PM
The Irish Fireball

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchgirlRN View Post
I did RN-BSN online after years of being an ASN and found it relatively easy. A lot of papers to write but I don't mind writing papers. Statistics is the only class I can say that I had trouble with. If it hadn't been for my son I probably would have had to repeat it.
I found the program relatively easy as well... Chemistry (both organic and inorganic) gave me fits, but I passed both. And the dumb management class wasn't a problem, but everyone scored a Level 1 on ATI, so everyone's grades dropped 8%. Of course, the semester after I graduate, they drop the ATI counting as part of your grade.

Statistics just sucked eggs on toast...
SopranoKris likes this.

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 01-18-2016, 08:05 AM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylee View Post

Statistics just sucked eggs on toast...
I got some excellent advice when I had to take statistics before I could apply for grad school-- I was in the last class in my university that wasn't required to take it as part of my undergrad nursing degree, and said I was sure as hell never going to be one of THOSE nurses who went to grad school. So when I did want to, seven years later, I asked around and learned all stats courses are not created equal. You want to take the one for psych or educational stats course from the psychology or education department, not the one in the math department. Same info, different focus, and much more applicable to your goal (unless you want to be a math major). Terrific advice.
icurnmaggie and SopranoKris like this.
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society
Old 01-18-2016, 10:46 AM

My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I'm 1/3 of the way through an online RN to BSN program. I graduated as a diploma nurse 4 years ago and I am not as marketable as I used to be. There is a lot of degree snobbery out there.

My original bachelor degree was way harder than these classes, but I am struggling with the online thing. Too bad art and science don't mix well.

I need a cheerleader slash homework coach to help me stay motivated and actually do this stuff. Most of it is so easy I can take the tests and pass without having to do much, but my current class is all about papers. It is SO HARD for me to do papers. Well, not the paper itself, but all the thought, planning, and prep.

If I could just get over the huge ADHD hurdle...

This class isn't fun enough and the deadline isn't scary enough. I literally can't make myself do it. Maybe I can talk my husband into some kind of reward system for getting some of it done.

I am looking forward to all the opportunities I will have once I'm finished with it, though.
SopranoKris likes this.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:34 PM
The Irish Fireball

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnTea View Post
I got some excellent advice when I had to take statistics before I could apply for grad school-- I was in the last class in my university that wasn't required to take it as part of my undergrad nursing degree, and said I was sure as hell never going to be one of THOSE nurses who went to grad school. So when I did want to, seven years later, I asked around and learned all stats courses are not created equal. You want to take the one for psych or educational stats course from the psychology or education department, not the one in the math department. Same info, different focus, and much more applicable to your goal (unless you want to be a math major). Terrific advice.
Fortunately, my Psych Stats class transferred and it was used as my stats class. Thank goodness, because the REQUIRED stats class was through the Math department, and a lot of people had trouble with it. Half of the LPN to BSN bridge class failed it and dropped the program after that class.

I'm just not sure how I can pass it if I get accepted into the GNP program.I am not good with math, and honestly, research and stats bore me.
SopranoKris likes this.

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 01-18-2016, 01:00 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylee View Post
Fortunately, my Psych Stats class transferred and it was used as my stats class. Thank goodness, because the REQUIRED stats class was through the Math department, and a lot of people had trouble with it. Half of the LPN to BSN bridge class failed it and dropped the program after that class.

I'm just not sure how I can pass it if I get accepted into the GNP program.I am not good with math, and honestly, research and stats bore me.

You don't need to be "good at math." I topped out at trig my junior year in high school, got a C+ and happy to have it. If you do research, there are computer programs that will take your data from your spreadsheet and generate all the stats you need to do, or you can get a helpful grad student to do it for you. What you really need the class for is to understand how statistics are derived, how they are distorted by bad methods, and what they mean-- and don't mean. Pretty much anybody with enough on the ball to get a bachelor's degree ought to be able to grok that for its intended purpose.
Anybody can take an ed or psych stats class at any community college and transfer the credits. People are too limited in their views of "prerequisites" sometimes.

Go Pats! On to Denver for Peyton vs. Tom v4.0
SopranoKris likes this.
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society