Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Student Lounge > Help Desk for Nursing Students

Help Desk for Nursing Students Need help with your homework? Here's the place!

User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 05:44 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default The thing that I have the most trouble with is ...

Med math?
Drug classes?
Physiology?
Anatomy?
Lab values and why they are important?
Getting motivated to study?
The commute?
Fluids and lytes?
Blood gases?
Passing learning lab check-offs?

Let's hear it and get the conversation going!
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-03-2015, 07:07 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Motivation to study, for sure! I suddenly develop ADHD and do everything except study.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-04-2015, 06:41 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracklingkraken View Post
Motivation to study, for sure! I suddenly develop ADHD and do everything except study.
Some folks do better under deadlines, some are methodical planners who do a bit at a time on a schedule. I'm with you in the ooh-look-at-that! distracto group. It makes me crazy but I always make deadline. On large projects I do swing into a routine for dedicated time in small blocks rather than big thrashes, though.

I think the key us to recognize what really does work for you for a given task and stick to a plan that doesn't result in self-sabotage. It's a lot more productive for me for studying to read it all at once, then skip a day, then read it carefully a second time, taking notes to myself. That's a different mode than when I have to produce something.

What ideas have you seen for studying, and why do/don't they work for you?
cracklingkraken likes this.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:58 AM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

This is something I did years ago when I was in school. During my reading, whenever I came across something new, I jotted it down. Afterwards, I re-wrote it in the form of a question leaving important words blank and used this as a study guide before exams.

I could not afford review classes and passed my Boards (the last paper & pencil one in my state) first try, so it must have helped to some degree.
GrnTea likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2015, 02:31 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnTea View Post
What ideas have you seen for studying, and why do/don't they work for you?
Don't work: Flash cards are a no-no for me. I spend too much time making them that it becomes more counterproductive. Reading. I'm a selective remember-er. I remember the most random tid bits of information, but not the things that really matter. I haven't found an efficient way to read yet.

Work: Videos. The visual and audio component engage my attention more and feeds the ADHD need. Mnemonics. Association really helps me relate the material into a more familiar form (I hope that makes sense. It makes sense in my head).

I have a slight photographic memory, if that's possible. So I can visualize specific paragraphs that I've read and remember the information in that section. I wish I could utilize that ability in a more efficient way, though.
GrnTea likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to cracklingkraken For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2015, 05:55 PM

My Mood:

Do you visualize the words themselves, or do you get a mental picture ( i.e. mind movie) of the content of what you've read?
Old 10-04-2015, 05:58 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliopioneer View Post
Do you visualize the words themselves, or do you get a mental picture ( i.e. mind movie) of the content of what you've read?
Mental picture. Again, it's selective. I have no idea why I remember that particular paragraph above the others. If I knew how it worked, I could find a more efficient way to study. *facepalm*

I guess I'll have to settle with mnemonics and reviewing. I like doing outlines, too. And I'll draw some pretty awful pictures (awful in quality, not awful like inappropriate) of certain mechanisms to help me remember better.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:20 AM

My Mood:

I bought some anatomy workbooks and spent my spare time (as in waiting inside until it was time to slog through the Cleveland snow and catch a bus) to take colored pencils to the diagrams and color in structures. These came more vividly into my head if I needed them.
GrnTea likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 10:48 AM

My Mood:

OH, I recommend those all the time-- the Anatomy Coloring Book and Physiology Coloring Book (real books, not cartoons) as a way to solidify concepts by getting them into the brain in a different way. Amazon, get the hard copy, not the online, because, as PP notes, using your actual hands and eye-hand coordination to use them makes a different and deeper track into your memory.
I wonder if these would be different/better/more reliable/reproducible for someone with some eidetic memory? Sounds like a good thesis project to me ...

Old 10-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

The problem I have the most is getting a job which requires experience when I don't have experience and they all require experience. The old catch 22

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC