Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Student Lounge > Help Desk for Nursing Students

Help Desk for Nursing Students Need help with your homework? Here's the place!

User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 03:38 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,707 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnTea View Post
I come at this from two different perspectives. Well, three, if you cunt the absolutely non-negotiable "Submitting somebody else's work as your own is cheating and you should be thrown out of any reputable academic program for doing it," in which I believe wholeheartedly. Looking up other people's term paper is not research; if you don't know the difference, you're either attending a lousy school that didn't teach you the difference, lying, or deluding yourself.

Ahem.

That said, I do free-lance editing and have had some faculty send their doctoral students to me because although faculty have deemed their research (this is, like, real research) good and approved it, they can't write for crap and need a lot of help in that regard. Their faculty know that editing is involved, and I get paid.

I also edit a journal and have occasion to question the provenance of (a few) submissions from time to time. There is very adequate software available to faculty and editors to check for plagiarism. Without going into too much detail, let me assure you that it works just fine.

As to plagiarized papers being used to get online BSN or MSN, if such a program's faculty doesn't care enough to use it, shame on them as well for granting degrees for the money; this hurts the profession and patients in the long run. And of course, shame on the nurses who proffer such credentials as real. They know who they are, they know they cheated, and I hope I never run into one in person (especially if they're in a position of responsibility for any phase of patient care). Shameful.
Agreed. Don't get me wrong, she's a decent enough nurse, I guess, but she did admit to me that she bought her papers, and she told her professors "I just want to get C's so I can pass and get my degree." Personally, I think that cheapens the profession, and also devalues all of us that worked so hard for the BSN, ASN, and Diploma. Even if I did do something like that, I would never admit it to anyone.

My uni used Turn It In to check for plagerism. I submitted my papers just to see how they would turn out, and as expected, it found nothing.
Poliopioneer likes this.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN