Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Student Lounge > Help Desk for Nursing Students

Help Desk for Nursing Students Need help with your homework? Here's the place!

User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2016, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default need help with research

I am doing a research. I need to know what do force students to use any kind of extra help. What do you think about it? Is it cheating or just a way out? have you ever used any writing online services like Supreme essay or Prime Writings? What is your experience?
I'll be very glad to hearing from you.
Thanks a lot! Take care!
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 08-31-2016, 07:35 AM

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,199 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I have never cheated, all my papers were my original thoughts, most online programs have tools to see if you are copying papers..... I think what you are looking at is cheating.
kwagner_51 likes this.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-04-2016, 09:14 AM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 941 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I am doing a research. I need to know what do force students to use any kind of extra help. What do you think about it? Is it cheating or just a way out? have you ever used any writing online services like Supreme essay or Prime Writings? What is your experience?
I'll be very glad to hearing from you.
Thanks a lot! Take care!
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "force students to use any kind of extra help". How can you be forced to use an online writing service?

FWIW, I think anytime someone PAYS someone to write a paper......or pays a service to get a written paper.......or exchanges favors on assignments with another student so the paper gets done by someone ELSE......and then submits that work as his own....it's cheating. So if you get your assignment completed by someone else and your professor thinks you wrote it and grades it for your own record, how is this not cheating?

My experience has been to write my own essays and turn them in for whatever credit I should get. Sometimes I didn't do as well on a paper as I thought I should.....but I think that's pretty normal. Students in the same courses as me who paid other people to write the essays for them sometimes got caught and sometimes didn't....but it's still cheating.

When I went to school there was a whole lot less online options for cheating or maybe I was oblivious....LOL......I think it's more likely than ever that you'd be caught since as long as cheating gets more high tech, so will the traps for it!
Poliopioneer likes this.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:11 PM

Writing a paper and then proofreading/style correcting/etc., or writing outline and then hiring someone to make a paper out of it, or finding all the sources and hiring someone to compose paper without outline, or just saying "I've got time till Monday, need 4 to 10 pages, APA6, at least 3 articles less than 5 years old, theme "grief", NURS 201 for Long Valley University, BSN, professor Mary S. Johnson, here is your money, see you at 9 PM Sunday" are four different things. Only two latter ones can be qualified as real cheating, IMHO. So, what exactly is subject of your research and what type/level of students you are interested in?
Old 09-04-2016, 03:33 PM

P.S. colleges nowadays regularly offer, for additional pay and for free, tutoring for those who have diffuculties to put their own thinkings onto paper. It is kinda common occupation and frequently source of additional income for liberal arts students who need to be reassured that they have some other useful skills besides enjoying their rather common post-diploma careers in Starbucks. This "tutoring" rather easily gets to the point when a student merely wrires down a page or two of outline and then happily allows the "tutor" to do the rest. This happens, again, with full knowledge of the faculty, which ptomptly looks other way.

Also, only either most stupid, or most inept students buy papers online cheaply ready-made nowadays. There are tons of people who will be glad to write anything customized for particular university, course and professor; the best of writers-for-hire ask customers to write down an essay on some random theme so that to imitate personal style, language and sentence structure. These papers are not distributed or recycled, and therefore cannot be caught by any "anti- cheating software". While it is still cheating, counting how "significant" the knowledge of APA style and such is for an ordinary bedside nurse, it is definitely less a sin than for, say, a liberal arts student. And be assured, till people continue to get lured into liberal arts degrees and then face career choice between waitressing and retail with $100000 student loans hanging over, the show will going on.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:24 AM

Thank's friends for your opinions. You've helped me a lot.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:56 AM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,711 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I love the Liberal Arts degree, but unfortunately, not employable. I love it because you get a well rounded taste of everything, but hate it because you can't do anything with it.

As for buying papers, I know one RN that did, and she got her RN. How she didn't get caught was probably because she did online LPN to RN. Yes, it is cheating.

I always wrote my own stuff. My thought is/was, just do it and get it over with instead of looking for ways to get out of it. If I put all that energy into trying to figure out how to get out of it, I could stop wasting time and just write the damn paper. Since I'm a fairly decent writer, it was just easier, faster, more ethical, and less conscience haunting than buying a paper (not that I would know where to go to do that) or plagiarizing someone else's work, especially because I am so anal about citations.
Poliopioneer likes this.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 09-05-2016, 12:43 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I may be weird but I have always enjoyed writing research papers. At the end of my NP program I had a paper to write and had the teacher from hell. It was the one and only time I ever considered using a paid for paper. I was ready to pull my hair out. I decided that it truly was wrong even if I had to repeat the semester because of the teacher from hell! I ended up passing and graduating but I was literally sick the entire last semester because of that paper. I like the feeling that I earned every single letter printed on my Master's Degree Certificate!

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 09-05-2016, 01:48 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I come at this from two different perspectives. Well, three, if you count the absolutely non-negotiable "Submitting somebody else's work as your own is cheating and you should be thrown out of any reputable academic program for doing it," in which I believe wholeheartedly. Looking up other people's term paper is not research; if you don't know the difference, you're either attending a lousy school that didn't teach you the difference, lying, or deluding yourself.

Ahem.

That said, I do free-lance editing and have had some faculty send their doctoral students to me because although faculty have deemed their research (this is, like, real research) good and approved it, they can't write for crap and need a lot of help in that regard. Their faculty know that editing is involved, and I get paid.

I also edit a journal and have occasion to question the provenance of (a few) submissions from time to time. There is very adequate software available to faculty and editors to check for plagiarism. Without going into too much detail, let me assure you that it works just fine.

As to plagiarized papers being used to get online BSN or MSN, if such a program's faculty doesn't care enough to use it, shame on them as well for granting degrees for the money; this hurts the profession and patients in the long run. And of course, shame on the nurses who proffer such credentials as real. They know who they are, they know they cheated, and I hope I never run into one in person (especially if they're in a position of responsibility for any phase of patient care). Shameful.
Poliopioneer likes this.
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society

Last edited by GrnTea; 09-19-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:34 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,711 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchgirlRN View Post
I may be weird but I have always enjoyed writing research papers. At the end of my NP program I had a paper to write and had the teacher from hell. It was the one and only time I ever considered using a paid for paper. I was ready to pull my hair out. I decided that it truly was wrong even if I had to repeat the semester because of the teacher from hell! I ended up passing and graduating but I was literally sick the entire last semester because of that paper. I like the feeling that I earned every single letter printed on my Master's Degree Certificate!
Was this your scholarly paper you had to write for your program? The FNP program I have applied to requires one as well, and I have no flipping idea what it is, how do do it, or even what subject to choosed to do it on. I remember you said you had the teacher from Hell...

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN