Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > What's Going On In Your World? > The History of Nursing

User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Inspiration

We're you inspired to become a nurse because of another nurse you know personally? Or were you inspired by a famous nurse? If not, what inspired you to become a nurse?
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 02-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Never considered being a nurse. My Dad said if you go to school to become a nurse I'll buy you a new car and when you finish you won't have to pay me back. So I did. Didn't figure I'd actually work as a nurse. 36 years later I am still a nurse and loving it! Dad must of known LOL

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

It is a long story but the short version is I wanted to be a doctor. Worked as a veterinary tech to put myself through med school at Georgia Medical College and gained a love for medicine and caring for others both the pet and owner. Then when my grandfather got sick, no one told us about hospice care. The nurses were all so great and seemed to have more patient contact which I loved. So I set out to invent better end-of-life care but when I got to nursing school I found out about hospice.

Last edited by Melinurse; 02-02-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

It's coded in my DNA on chromosome 16. In doing the family history, I found out that my great great Grandmother was a midwife, and not only that, she delivered every single one of her Grandkids (one Grandkid, my Grandmother went on to become an RN). I am 5th generation to work in nursing.... I love it, but I am so tired...... I guess that's common for Nursing School
Dobby'sMomRN likes this.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 PM

Thanked 1,118 Times in 728 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMelissRoths03 View Post
We're you inspired to become a nurse because of another nurse you know personally? Or were you inspired by a famous nurse? If not, what inspired you to become a nurse?
I got sick of doing business stuff. I used to work in finance, and then I was a dental assistant- I did administrative stuff, insurance billing, etc... It was not fulfilling. I couldn't find the purpose in my job that I wanted. I wanted to be a part of something bigger than me. I thought that by being a nurse that I could make a difference in people's lives, maybe even make the world a better place. I know that sounds cheezy, but I've been there and a good nurse can make all the difference in the world to someone. I wanted to be that person that made a difference.
DutchgirlRN, Kylee and Glendah46 like this.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:49 AM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,401 Posts

I had already worked other jobs in the hospital for many years so I figured I might as well become a nurse and get better pay.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch View Post
I had already worked other jobs in the hospital for many years so I figured I might as well become a nurse and get better pay.
I think this is how a lot of people get into nursing. Having a more administrative type job in a hospital has inspired a lot of people to get into nursing.

Did anyone get into nursing for family reasons or hours?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:35 PM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

From the time I could walk and talk I wanted to be a nurse and have NEVER regretted one day since gaining my dream back in 1977.
Kylee likes this.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 AM

Thanked 2,686 Times in 1,782 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Kind of like Meli it was seeing hospice nurses that inspired me to go into nursing. That and my previous career in biology wasn't working out too well.
Dobby'sMomRN likes this.
Gotta find my corner...of the sky

"Corner of the Sky" from the Broadway musical "Pippin"

Joe RN CCM!
Old 04-01-2012, 02:31 PM

My Mood:
Default Inspired to be a nurse

Ok, what happened to me was, my Dad was misdiagnosed by this Yutz of a Dr. He was doing nothing except, sleeping for 3 weeks and lost 70 # during the same time. We went to the ER and a new Dr. ran some different tests..In a few hours, he was diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus.. The first Dr. nver even ran a blood sugar test on him.. That's why I became nurse. I wanted to humliate him in the ER. What I found out was, there are other Dr.s that do the same stuff.. That's why nurses have to pick up after for him/her.