Thread: ER Nursing
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I felt it was just a lot of memorization. You have to memorize all the algorithms in order to know what to do with each scenario. I bought the book prior to class and studied for 3 weeks before taking the 2 day class. Before class, I thought there was no way I was going to remember everything. When you actually attend class and get to do the scenarios hands-on, that's when it "clicks".

The test is a "mega-code" situation where you come in and the patient is alert but having symptoms (e.g. SVT, SB, uncontrolled A-fib, etc.). During your interventions, the patient codes (either PEA or VFib/pVT), then you have to run the code, assign team roles, say which meds to administer, what Joules to set the defibrillator on, etc. Then the patient comes around and you initiate post-care based on their symptoms.

I didn't find the written portion that difficult. You take a pre-test prior to the 2 day class and most of what's on the written exam was on the pre-test. You really have to bone up on reading tele strips, too.

So, the exam itself wasn't all that bad. As long as you take the time to prepare in advance. The people in my class that struggled were the ones who didn't do much prep.
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN